Acme Low B2 & Acme B-112 Flatwound frequency responses

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Mystic Michael, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

So I'm curious: The Acme Low B series is reputed to have a very smooth and somewhat attenuated upper midrange and high frequency response for a three-way cabinet. And the newer Acme B-112 Flatwound is quite flat to around 2kHz, and drops off steeply above 4 kHz - 5kHz.

For those of you who may have heard or played both, how would you say the upper midrange and high frequency response of each cab compares with the other? In terms of qualitative character of the higher-frequency tones, as well as the sheer amount of higher-frequency "juice" available?

How much higher does the Low B2 go than the Flatwound? To the ear, is it a dramatic difference, or more subtle?

I was not able to find any frequency response data for the Low B cabs at the Acme website... :meh:

MM
  2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Why not just email Andy at acmebass.com and ask? I've not played through any of Andy's other products apart from my four B2s.
  3. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

I'd like to measure a B2.
    If anybody in Sacramento wants to give it a go, give me a heads-up.
  4. Mystic Michael

I'm more interested in player experiences, Paul. Thanks just the same.

MM
  5. Mystic Michael

Bump for more replies...
  6. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I think your problem is most people who like the B2 and want a 12" cab are going to buy the Full Range and not the Flat Wound. The Flat Wound is for very specific tastes or to be used as a sub for the Full Range.

As a previous poster stated, Andy may be your best bet. Bass Gear spoke of the Flat Wound briefly but it was within a review for the Full Range.

:meh:
  7. Mystic Michael

Thanks, Jeff.

I own a pair of the Acme Full Range cabs, and think they're great. Somehow I was expecting an upper midrange & high frequency response that's a little more aggressive, but was pleasantly surprised to discover that it's actually quite smooth and relatively subdued.

Based largely on some legacy comments offered by our resident rig guru, Ken Jung, I gather that the Low B2 is noticeably different, with even bigger lows, and an upper midrange and high frequency response that's even more subdued - but that's strictly hearsay, as I haven't yet heard the cab. For if/when I should ever decide to pick up another pair of Acmes, I'm wondering which way to go.

I'll be experimenting with some electronica / modern dub tones for an upcoming project - which requires big, BIG lows and not much highs at all. So I'm sure the Flatwounds would work. It's just that I still want the capacity to go full-range, for other types of material, with cabs that have adequate range to be versatile, yet are distinct enough from the Full Range, for an additional flavor, to be able to justify the purchase. Based on what I've surmised, the Low B2 would be between the Flatwound and the Full Range in terms of brightness, but probably much closer to the Full Range.

Anybody? :smug:

MM
  8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Interesting...and I have pair which smacks of what you've described:

[​IMG]

These are both B-2's both the lower enclosure has no midrange or HF drivers. I don't believe it is still in the catalog and cannot provide concise info on the freq response. I would imagine it takes a dramatic nosedive in the 1.2-2 khz region. Anywho, I use them as a vertical daisy-chained B-4 (full range) but, with a little imagination, I can see somebody running them in dual-mono and re-balancing to obtain the desired character. These are series II cabs and the full range B-2 possesses dedicated attenuators (up to ~90% roll-off) for the midrange and HF drivers so you can do some serious tweaking without touching the EQ on your preamp. Lots of possibilities!

Riis
  9. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Nice stack...

:eek:
  10. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

There are .PDF files with specs for the speakers. When you click on one of the speakers under "Products" there is a link to the specs at the bottom of the page. The Low B112 Flatwound and Fullrange specs have charts for them. The Low B-2 doesn't have a chart but it is rated for 41Hz to 22KHz +/-3dB, -6dB at 31Hz.
  11. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
  13. Mystic Michael

What I've described, meaning a rig that is ideal for reproducing "...electronica / modern dub tones", which requires "...big, BIG lows and not much highs..."?

I've gotta admit, those B2s do look a little prettier than the B-112 series cabs. But far "prettier" than the way any of them looks, is the way they sound. :cool:

MM
  14. Mystic Michael

Check

MM
  15. Mystic Michael

16. Mystic Michael

I actually did go ahead and placed a call to Andy today, just to see what he had to say about the differences, if any, between the Low B series, and the B-112 series.

The bottom line: Andy doesn't have a whole lot of insight into the question from the standpoint of actual application, i.e. from a players' eye view. He's more of a pure engineer & designer. He leaves non-technical questions to the players. It's kind of what I had expected.

Andy did offer his view that the Low B2 frequency response is perhaps a little smoother and a little less colored than the Full Range. But the Full Range is considerably lighter, and the overall design is a little more refined and more elegant.

Andy emphasized that his design goal has remained consistent throughout: To create the most transparent, most full-range cab possible, as flat as possible down to 31Hz.

That is all. :meh:

MM
  17. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member

I usually hang out over on the double bass side, and that is what I play. I just picked up a series III Flatwound ACME 112 from the classifieds in squeeky clean condition for half the retail price ( I believe one more is still for sale) and am pairing it up with my series III Low B1. It is a GREAT combination for my needs. Plenty of power and the range with the two is huge- you get a 2", 5", 10", and a big ported 12. WAY better than just a couple of B1s or a B2, and surprisingly light for the size.

First gig is on Friday night for the real test with the Gypsy Swingers. I set them up on the floor of my workshop this afternoon and was surprised at how much air the port moved- every time I hit a low note, it would move the spruce shavings on the floor about a foot!

As with all ACME products, they like a lot of power. Mine are 8 ohm and I use an 800 Watt Acoustic Image Focus amp- very nice combination. So far my impressions are that the two are pretty compatible- the Flatwound alone is a little dry and ...well...flat, along with almost twice the power rating...but together it is very dynamic and they seem to balance out each other very well. Thanks Andy!

j.
    www.condino.com
    www.kaybassrepair.com