1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Acme vs. Mark Bass

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Mark Loebl, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Mark Loebl

Mark Loebl

I just joined TalkBass and this is my first post on this forum.

Roughly 2 years ago I purchased a Mark Bass LM 800 because I wanted a lightweight amp and an Acme Series 3 full-range 4 ohm cabinet because I heard someone playing an Alembic Epic 5-string through a Low-B II and LOVED the tone.

Unfortunately some characteristic of the cabinet causes the amp to 'trip' and I didn't discover this until long after Acmes' 2-week return policy expired. I'm unable to ascertain which protective system is tripping. Neither Acme or Mark Bass were subsequently helpful.

The amp works perfectly with a pair of Hartke 115XLs (4 ohms) and a Cerwin-Vega 18" in a Wachuwan cabinet (4 ohms).

In any event I bought a Mark Bass NY 115 RJ cabinet (8 ohms) and now have a reliable lightweight bass rig.

Another case of Caveat Emptor!
  2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

That's strange. I have an Acme B-2 4 ohm series II that I sometimes run my LMKIII into. I've never had a problem with it.

I'm thinking of picking up another B-2. I really like the tone.
  3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

They are addictive aren't they!! :D

OP, I have yet to have any kind of a problem driving a pair of Acme B2s.

This afternoon I played through my first piece of MarkBass equipment. A large 6x10. It wasn't all that bad but I yearned for my Acmes.
  4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

Road runners prefer Acme, just sayin'......... :bag:
  5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

JOOC, which series III cab are you using? Any time I hear "trip", the first thing I suspect is thermal shut-down or current protection...the MarkBass provides both:

http://www.markbass.it/support.php

Acme cabs are notoriously power hungry and will require a seemingly inordinate amount of juice to coax the same volumes you would achieve with the Hartkes. It's also possible the amp senses that the load is dropping below 4 ohms which is very possible. System impedance is a dynamic not a static measurement and expressed as an average.

Riis
  6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

My thoughts exactly. (Though when I first read the thread title, I thought it must refer to a comparison between two cabs - since Acme doesn't manufacture an amp head.)

Mark, you didn't mention which Acme model you own: the B1, B2, B4, Full Range or Flatwound? (I'm guessing you must be referring to either the B2, or probably the B4.) It matters. :meh:

If it's the B4, then I suspect that you may have underestimated the amount of power you want/need from the amp in order to drive your Acme cab to the SPL you desire - perhaps causing your amp to go into thermal shutdown? And as Zoober stated, an impedance mismatch is always a possibility as well. In either case, there's nothing wrong with your MarkBass amp, and nothing wrong with your Acme cab - just that they might not be the best two rig components to use together.

Sure, you're unlikely to have this problem using Hartke cabs. Or MarkBass cabs. Or cabs from practically any other manufacturer. You're also unlikely to obtain the unique frequency response and unparalleled low end of the Acmes from any other cab(s). :eyebrow:

MM
  7. theretheyare

theretheyare Supporting Member

I agree with all the above. I think there are some threads on the forum discussing Markbass having a tendency to shut down if the load goes below 4Ohm.

I have an Aguilar TH500 into a B-2 4 ohm series II and (with a passive bass espcially) the tone is to die for.
  8. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I think we can assume it's a Full Range, not a B-(whatever).
  9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Jeff, you can be replaced y'know!! :D
  10. Mark Loebl

Mark Loebl

The Acme in question is a series 3 "full Range", single 12" with neodymium magnet, crossover network & tweeter, 4 ohms. 8 ohms is also available.

20-20 hindsight says I should've bought an 8-ohm B-2. But neodymium magnet sounded sexy...
  11. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Hi Mark, is there any chance that Andy Lewis at Acme could rewire your cab to 8 ohms?

I've never owned any Acme cabs, but I've talked with Andy a few times and he seems to stand behind his products.

I don't know if it can be done, or if the cost would be too high, but it may be worth checking into.
  12. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

To make it 8 ohm, he'd need to change out the speaker. Another option would be to pick up a power amp (like a Carvin) and use the Markbass to drive the power amp. You'd have enough power to add another cab (if you wanted).
  13. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

Apparently! It also seems that the TalkBass admin type folks forgot to send me the usual reminder that my Supporting Member status was close to expiring! :mad: What's up with that? :confused: I like being a SM :D

Edit: I'm glad to report that i am a SM again, thanks! :cool:
  14. bassundergrace

bassundergrace Supporting Member

I think these guys are right gotta be the head. I have a pair of 8ohm full range 12's that are are pushed by a bridged xls1000 1000@4ohms. Anything less I tried just didn't have enough power to get the tone acme's are known for. An external poweramp may be the fix.
  15. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Close to what I use: bridged XLS 1500 or 2500 into (2) 8 ohm B-2's. Actually, I could probably get away with using the Drivecores in parallel mono (one channel per enclosure) and get the same results. Our buddy, Bassman Paul, uses this same configuration and is in no way starved for power and/or volume.

Again, I believe the MarkBass is seeing a drop below 4 ohms and saying "I quit" as a protective measure.

Riis