1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Acoustic 140

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jamesdshelt, Jan 18, 2014.

1. jamesdshelt

jamesdshelt

hey all, new to the forum, but had a few questions folks might be able to help with.

I'm thinking about purchasing a 1973 Acoustic 140. The guy is also offering the original 2x15 Acoustic cab loaded with eminence speakers. I currently have an Avatar 2x12 4 ohm cab that I've been really happy with the last few years. So my questions are:

1) How loud will the Acoustic 140 be? I'm getting a lot of mixed info about the wattage and the true output when I look it up. I play mostly medium sized club venues, and my drummer/guitar player tend to be on the loud side. wondering if it will hold up to that.

2) Would this head sound good through the Avatar 2x12 or is it worth springing for the Acoustic cab as well? The Ampeg 2x15 seems huge and like a pain to lug around, any info on the weight?

thanks everybody! any additional feedback or info would be appreciated.

2. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

if it's the shallow cab it's pretty loud and it projects well, it's also light
    if you play with people who want to play at hockey arena or stadium volume in a club it won't work, but it has a great tone and if i didn't already have a mesa tube head and an orange stack i would buy my drummer's acoustic rig

3. Pearly Gator

Pearly Gator

It is 50 watts into 8 ohms and 100 watts into 4 ohms. Loudness would depend a lot on speaker efficiency. Tone is pretty good but the amp would lose the B string if you're playing a 5er.

Because of age, the amp should be checked out by a qualified tech. Be ready to spring some money to get the electrolytic capacitors replaced.

Good luck!

4. bottomend!

bottomend!

The head actually puts out around 125 watts. It will knock your socks off with the ported cab it was ment to be mated. A newer cab with low efficiency speakers will laugh at it and just walk away! It needs efficiency to prove it's worth so it's not fair to compare it's power rating with modern gear. Apples and bananas sort of thing... great tone and really cool vibe. A few days ago I plugged a 140 head into a 301 ( 1-18 horn cabinet) and rattled the roof with the volume set only to 9 'o clock.

5. Register to disable this ad