1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Acoustic 260 Micro. My review

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Matt R., Feb 12, 2010.

1. Matt R.

Matt R. Supporting Member

I have been pondering a micro rig for home use and desperately wanted the Ampeg Micro VR to be the one I took home, but that turned out not to be the case.

Just received my Acoustic 260 the other day. I like the rig. It has all the character and warmth of the Ampeg Micro, which I also tried out at home and gigged with. Without A/B-ing the 2 micros side by side, I can confidently say from memory that it has all the volume of the Ampeg. I'm not a cab/speaker geek by any means, but I would attribute this to what seems to be the Acoustic's seemingly superior and definitely sturdier cabinet design. (remember this is a 1x10 and the Ampeg is 2x10). This rig doesn't fart out as easy as the Ampeg when you crank the lows on the 3 band EQ. It has an auxiliary input for an mp3 player and headphone jack for quiet practice. I haven't tried these yet.

I of course had to try my fretless Jaco clone first:

[​IMG]

The EQ is really responsive and minimal tweaks yielded good results to my ears.

This amp (as well as the Ampeg) loved my '78 Musicmaster. I guess the lone single coil pickup pairs well with a small low power rig. I had assumed the cabinet would have cups so the rubber feet on the head would sit down in it, but no.

[​IMG]

No big deal, this is a bedroom rig anyway. My overall impression is that for the money (it costs $300 as opposed to $600 for the Ampeg), it's a better value than the Ampeg Micro VR. A great practice amp and I highly recommend it despite the lack of a DI. Of course time will tell when it comes to reliability.

I suck at reviews, so ask me anything I may have missed.

2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

The towel bar is a nice touch. Cute little fella, huh?

3. Matt R.

Ha yeah I laughed when I saw that and the wheels on a 20-something pound cab. :cool:

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Pretty tall for only having one 10" spkr. *Looks* like a 2x10. From your review, it seems it also sounds like a 210. Thanks.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rodl2005

rodl2005

I LOVE the fact it has the 'tilt back' thing happening!! ha ha!!!!!! totally unecessary.... tho maybe not if some of the market is for 9 y.o. bassists!!!
    Love it's looks- & GLAD U like it's performance too!

7. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

I've played through that rig at GC a few times. I was really impressed with it, plus its way more fun then a 1x10 combo.

8. Matvei

Matvei

Would you have bought it if it was 500$, or if it was the same price as the ampeg?

Having it shipped to Canada by UPS does add extra $$$ unfortunately...

Thanks for the pics! We never see the back of it.

9. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

I love that little mini-rig!!! It sounds amazing and has some pretty nice volume for it's size! I give it 5 outta 5 stars!!

10. Matt R.

Well, I'll readily admit that the Ampeg rig is overpriced, but nonetheless I was ready to pull the trigger on it because I loved the tone so much. But overall I have read better reviews on the acoustic rig. And of course it's cheaper...

I'm not sure, but something tells me that if the prices were the same, I probably would've gotten the Ampeg. I'm an Ampeg fan to begin with so that's why. I plan to still get an Ampeg Micro at some point just for the hell of it if I have money to burn. Plus, I've heard that the Ampeg Micro head sounds killer with the 410HLF, which I own. I also plan to try this Acoustic head with that cab.

11. Bass Junkie

Bass Junkie

+1! I played through one at GC last week just because it was the only thing plugged in and I was floored at how good it sounded.

12. togglehead

togglehead

I A/B'd both the ampeg and the acoustic today at GC. I went their to buy an amp, so i brought my basses.

I was blown away by these things. SO much sound from both of these little guys. I'll admit, it was hard to chose btw the two of them...but, if prices were the same (or even closer) id hands down go with the ampeg. I think Matt R is right...they are essentially equals in volume. That 1x10 in the acoustic is really impressive...and they both handled a low B better than i expected.

What does it about the ampeg for me...is the tone. Is it $300 more than its rival better? No...not at all...but it IS better to my ear. I think it has something to do with there being multiple sound sources. Not only does it help mask their origin...but each speaker has to work less to produce the same level...since theres two of them. you get it? theres two of them... *cricket*

Ultimately...i walked out of there with a b200h. So what do i know...

13. Matvei

Matvei

//newbie question//

Does it come with a speaker cable to link the head and cab?

14. PZapdos

PZapdos

i just went and purchased a b200h and b410 today, and played with this little thing meanwhile.. its so tiny! but sounds pretty nice nonetheless :p

15. Matt R.

Yeah it comes with a little cheapo one. I'm gonna get a better one

16. Matt R.

Hey post your thoughts on that rig when you can. Does the amp have the distortion circuit?

17. Matvei

Matvei

Ok... this did it. I just ordered a 260 mini-stack.

I was spending way too much time researching amps and not enough time playing...

Let's hope I don't regret this and that UPS doesn't hit me too hard with brokerage fees like they usually do. Crossing fingers...

18. Noseferatu

Noseferatu

So my main queston:

[​IMG]

OOOOORRRRRR........
    [​IMG]

For the tone and price, of course

19. kenstee

kenstee

Why not get the Acoustic and a Tech 21 VT Bass? Could cover it that way........

20. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

[​IMG]

why dont they throw another 10 inch in the bottom ? , theres room.

21. Canterbury

Canterbury

I just ordered a 260. I missed the GC deal this weekend for $250, but I got Music123 to beat GC's 10% off coupon. Got it for $250 shipped.

I've been wanting one of these for a while, I always play on it when I'm at guitar center. I like the simplicity of the tone controls and the aux in/headphone out are nice features for practicing. I dont gig, my playing is all "recreational", I jam with friends but mostly just by myself. Its cheap therapy.

Some people have complained that since it doesn't have XLR its not gig worthy. Why dont you just buy an external DI box and put it inline with amps output?

Mine should be here today. I cant wait.