1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Acoustic 260 mini stack, speaker farting

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Wade10987, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Wade10987

Wade10987

I recently picked up a 260 mini stack. It sounds great but farts on the E string once the volume is around 4 or 5. I would be a little more understanding if it had that side effect around 9 or 10, but I don't think the 260 should be putting out such floppy and distorted tone at a lower volume.

I was wondering if putting a louder speaker in there would help. I was thinking of an Eminence speaker around 150 watts. Right now it's a 100 watt head and a 100 watt speaker. I thought maybe the amp was driving the speaker too much because it seems like a pretty powerful amp for it's size. Would putting a slightly louder 10 inch in there be helpful or beneficial? Or would there be another way to get rid of the farting tone?
  2. floridagatorfan

floridagatorfan

How do you have the eq set?
  3. Wade10987

Wade10987

I fiddle around but I turn the mids all the way down and keep the bass and treble somewhere between 5 and 10.
  4. Wade10987

Wade10987

I just tried it with volume at 5 with the bass at 5, mid at 0 and treble around 7 or 8. Sounded great with no flabby side effects. I thought I had reduced the bass before to handle the farting.

Thanks for bringing up the EQ, seemed to help. But still, what if I want to boost the bass EQ to more than half way up? I guess I will have to settle with the bad tone?
  5. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

You bought a budget level amp (it is NOT the Acoustic of 1967). Just throwing a better speaker in the cab without the cab being designed for it could be just as bad. Enjoy what you have and work with it's limits.
  6. Wade10987

Wade10987

It definitely is a budget level amp. I paid 155 used WITH shipping. I am happy with it as a practice amp that would look nice in my living room. My other amp is an Ibanez SW65 combo at 50 watts. My Acoustic amp is practically half the size and TWICE as loud. The Ibanez had a great clarity and sounded good, but this Acoustic delivers great warmth and depth. I thought the new acoustic stuff by GC was gimmicky, just using the name and color scheme. But with the BIG cab, this little stack actually has some of the great classic acoustic tone.
  7. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Put some mids back into the equation and cut the bass a bit.
  8. kedo

kedo

I've been really happy with my 260. Its my practice amp, but its held its own on a couple of occasions with a band. (keep in mind, I called one drummer "Featherhands", the other band was all acoustic, so the drums were dialed way back)

Everyone was surprised at the quality of sound that this little guy put out. Just don't expect it to do more than its capable of.
  9. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith

It needs to go up to 5?
    I've never had to go past the end of 1 with either my Hofner,or Casady.
    I love the tone of this little rig. Plenty loud for me playing with loud acoustic guitar players, a mandolin and 10 singers in a church with 250 people.
  10. Frankie Fender

Frankie Fender

Mine doesn't fart and I get a really good tone from it. I agree to leave the mids in there. Don't go extreme with the EQ and leave it at that. It is what it is. A really nice "practice" amp.
  11. R Baer

R Baer Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, Baer Amplification
    The numbers on a volume knob rarely correspond to actual volume output as you would expect. In other words, 5 on the volume doesn't mean 50% volume, 7 on the volume knob doesn't mean 75%, etc... Depending on the taper of the volume knob, that amp could actually be putting out most of it's volume with the volume on 5 or 6.