Acoustic 370 and cab: good deal?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by raistlin, Apr 6, 2014.

1. raistlin

raistlin Supporting Member

2. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

If that showed up here for that price at the right time, I'd take it.

3. Gar Bear

Gar Bear

Hi,

The only direct experience I have with Acoustic is with my late 60's 360 preamp, and I still love it.

It looks like these pieces are in good condition. If they work the way you need them to (sound/tone) and if in your $ range-heck Go For It!:hyper:

Good luck,
    Gary

4. headband

headband Supporting Member

IMHO that is a lot of money for an amp that more than likely will stay in your basement, as it is just too heavy to use realistically. However, if you plan to use it, it is a pretty nice rig. I just sold an Acoustic 301 cab (the proper mate to the 370 head) - thought I would use it some, but it ended up being another end table in the basement. Neat stuff, for sure, but there are great amps and cabs out there today for $1000.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. raistlin

raistlin Supporting Member

I appreciate the feedback.
    I am going to head over there to plug in my bass and see how it sounds. I am looking for a vintage sound, but the weight issue may be a problem. How much would you say that head weighs?
    I was intrigued and inspired by this video of Bobby Vega talking about one of his rigs:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpnIl2WpR1U

7. emblymouse

emblymouse I Dig A Pony Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Lakland**Bag End**Schroeder
    That is a beautiful sight. These are usually more beat up so the price is not so out of line. Also TWO cabs! You'll wet your diaper when you plug in to this.

8. headband

It's an old 300 watt solid state head. I don't know about this particular head, but some of the vintage Acoustics have parts that are hard to come by.
    If you want a vintage sound I think you will do better with a 60's style bass (manufacturer of your choice) and something like an Ampeg pf800, or one of the great old tube heads out there.
    Any of my vintage jazz basses ('66 and '69) and my 64CS do it. Many others, too.
    But if you just gotta have it, I get that too.

9. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Couldnt give me that rig.

10. Tagruvto

Tagruvto

I had the 370 amp with the 301 cabinet back in the seventies. My two fondest memories were the day I bought it and the day I unloaded it.😄 it certainly was loud (actually bombastic) and really really heavy. Don't ever want to play through one again 😜

11. Bim1959

Bim1959

Disclosures:
    Sales & electronic tech: England Music Center - Clinton IA
    I thought the head on this was just a preamp and the amp is in the cabinets.

And isn't this the one Acoustic (now known as GC/MF) reissued and Flea played on the rooftop for Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie before going back to his GK rig?

12. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

heavy? the head is like 30 pounds or something, as far as big old SS heads its pretty normal.

900 is too much for all of that, but those acoustic 370 heads are some of the tops for old SS. if youre looking for a vintage SS head and that kinda tone, its tough to beat the 370. and its loud as sin.

13. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

I would be all over that. My 370 is the best sounding head I've ever heard. Those 406 cabs are incredible too. Are those JBLs in there? Wow, what a find! Get it!!!

14. beebassdude

i actually dug the tone of the 220 better than the 370 i had, but the 370 definitely had it in headroom. both are awesome heads, especially as far as SS goes. i wasnt clear about the ad, did he say the cabs were respeakered with modern drivers? if so, 900 for that whole setup doesnt seem bad now, i just dont like the original acoustic drivers as they were pretty low wattage handling and i was always worried about blowing them (i have two 408s that i swapped the speakers on).

15. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

I love the original Eminence drivers in my 402 and 408. I don't push them too hard though.

The 220 is awesome too. That's the first head that made me realize I didn't in fact HAVE to have tubes.

16. beebassdude

well lets be honest, you still HAVE to have tubes haha!

the drivers sounded good but i always get worried with vintage drivers. the 408 stock ones were like 75 watts a piece, pumping an SVT into that wasnt something i wanted to mess with.

17. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    The 370 head is an amplifier, originally coupled with the 118 rear-facing folded horn, although they introduced a cab in the 70s that had two forward facing speakers, one that faced up, and one that faced down. The 360 "head" was a preamp that drove the amp in the bottom of the 351 cabinet. The preamp had no graphic EQ, a rotary "variamp" dentented switch that acted as a mid filter, a fuzz and a virtually useless "tuning fork" that was continuously variable.

To the OP, the rig pictured should be loud as hell, but I think it overkill these days, unless you're playing outdoors a lot and need to have volume onstage, or huge rooms with no PA support.

In the mid-70s I used the 451 head and 406 cab (215) and thought it a much better sounding combination than the 360, which I had from 1970-74.

18. headband

Caught me there - should have said "amp and cabs" are too heavy. And although they were great in their day, I think you will still find that this rig "as-is" is gonna stay in your basement a lot more than you will gig with it. For sure, you could use the amp alone. Now, if you don't gig often, or are primarily a collector of gear like this, then go for it. It does have a "cool" factor to it in my book.

19. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

See I don't get the, "you'll never use it" thing. People use 8x10 cabs all the time. I use ACC gear on about 95% of my fairly busy gigging schedule. They sound killer and are built to last, as they pre-date the current era of planned obsolescence. These 406 cabs are slightly smaller than Ampeg 8x10 cabs and totally capable of the same type of gigs. Fridges are actually super common out there in live music land, and for good reason, too.

OP, I'm sure you already know whether or not a fridge would work for you. If so, you could even flip the 300 Power amp (very much sought after) and the second cab and get a good chunk of your money back.

20. headband

You are right. I assumed that the original poster was not a user of big stage gear by the tone of the original post. If he is, then this would fit right in there.
    And yes, I do still see the big 8x10's out there, but not near as much as I used to, and to be honest, haven't seen one out in a local club in quite a while, although one of my metal friends plays through two 8x10's. He also is in his early 30's and gigs 1 or 2 times a month. (Most of the bass players I know lighten up the gear as they age - lol).
    In my experience, (and I just sold a 301 cabinet last week) I can get as loud as I need to with a 4x10 Bergantino cabinet. I bought the 301 thinking I would use it for "big venues" or "outside shows" and that never happened as my 4x10 is loud enough, and with PA support I couldn't justify carrying the big cab around. And to me, the Bergantino sounds better for what I do.
    But man, if you like the big old stuff, go for it!

21. beebassdude

i think it just depends on the gig. i play in a 90s cover band, and use a small 212 cab with a genz benz shuttle 6. i wouldnt show up to play Better Than Ezra songs with multiple 15 cabs and a big SS head (or tube head for that matter).

but when its doom metal time, i dont want micro cabs/amps, i want black sabbath backline circa 1970 haha!