1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Acoustic 370 Cab Pairing (General Bass Rig Questions)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by eggcident, Feb 23, 2014.

1. eggcident

eggcident

hey, everybody:

this is my first time posting on here, so please bear with me haha.

i'm looking to upgrade my bass rig; currently, i have a gk 700rb ii that i'm running through an ampeg svt 410 hlf with an mim jazz bass. i absolutely hate the way it sounds. it's too bassy and i constantly find myself getting lost in the mix. i want a tone that's punchy, tight, trebly, and mid-heavy that cuts through the mix. i guess many people would describe it as the prototypical "punk" bass tone if that gives you a better idea of what i'm talking about. now, i'm not sure if there is one thing to blame (the amp, the cab, or the bass) or if it's a combination of everything. i honestly don't think it has anything to do with the bass though. i've always loved the tone i've gotten out of it.

so, as a result of this, i've been looking into some new gear. specifically, i am looking at an acoustic 370. i'm really interested in a cheaper ss head, maybe a little mid-heavy, that can cut through the mix. if you guys have some other recommendations definitely let me know.

and, if i follow through on this acoustic 370 (which i'm pretty set on doing at this point haha), will my ampeg 410 hlf cab pair well with it? again, i really don't want a bass-heavy sound and i'm afraid my tone won't be clear enough. one option i was considering was purchasing an ampeg svt 410he to give me a punchier sound, but i'm not sure that it will be able to handle the acoustic 370. so, i was looking to you guys for some advice.

i'm a poor, frustrated, college student trying to build up a new rig without selling one of my limbs. please help!

2. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

You worked with the EQ to get it to cut better?

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    The 370/301 118 cab is not noted for hi-fi tone. It has low mids galore. I paired mine with a Marshall Major 200 watt tube head. It was loud, lots of bottom, decent tone, big, heavy, and a one trick pony.

4. Jim Carr

Disclosures:
    If you want clear, build a fEARful.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin

There are plenty of people who swear by 370 heads, but I prefer a 320. It's a little more versatile, and it should cost you about the same. That said, I ran a 370 through a modern Ampeg stack and was astonished by the sound. It is a whole lot more capable than you would expect. I had been running it through a ratty Peavey 410, and it was plenty powerful, but it lacked clarity. The head wasn't the problem, as it turned out. So, take that for what its worth. I think you can get a well defined sound out of a 370 through a good 410 or 215. Through lower quality speakers, like what was apparently in the old Peavey box I had, it's going to be muddy but it will be plenty powerful.

7. Jim Carr

Disclosures:
    Perhaps I'm confused? Is the OP getting a 370 cab, head, or both? :eek::eek:

8. Jazz_bass2664

Jazz_bass2664 Supporting Member

Media:
    Pair your 370 with an Acoustic 408, thank me later haha!

9. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

Nothing wrong with the head, problem is probably the cab.

At least the older 410 HLF was very boomy and bottom heavy to my ears. Try a few different cabs out and hear for yourself.

10. okcrum

okcrum in your chest Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
    IIRC The head is 370 the cab is 301. I'm not sure either.

11. middy

middy

Trade in the 410hlf for a 410he or an 810he... Or some other sealed cab.

12. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

+1
    Only Ampeg cab I'm experienced with is an SVT 8x10 so I'm no expert, but I understand the ported HLF really accentuates the sub bass frequencies. Sounds like you'd like one of the sealed SVT cabs better.

You can't go wrong with a 370 or 320 that's in good shape, either. Both will give you a ballsy sound paired with a decent cab. Like Gaolee says, the 370 really accentuates the low mids while the 320 accentuates the high mids a bit more. Worth keeping in mind when choosing which one to get. Both killer heads.

13. eggcident

eggcident

thanks for all the input, guys. and just to clarify, i am looking at the 370 heads.

it sounds to me like the cab is the source of all my tonal woes; however, i'm still not a huge fan of the gk 700 rb, so i'm more than likely going to be replacing it with the 370.

additionally, the 810 e that people were recommending was one cab that i was looking into and it sounds like the 370 pairs fairly well with it. i also saw that middy recommended the 410 he, so i was wondering: if i use the sealed 410 he with the 370, will the cab be overpowered since it only runs at 8 ohms?

thanks again. all of this has been really helpful.

14. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    I had that rig for years still have the 408 but rewired to series parallel for 8 ohms, have run it in studio with a JCM 800 Marshall guitar amp for some awesome punk rock bass tones.
    The amp had to go in favour of tube power for that final 1% of tone in studio.
    It was great live though, especially with an SVT cab with the old CTS drivers clank! and ding! In the upper mid a plenty with an old ibanez tube screamer on the front end.:bassist:

15. middy

middy

Yeah, you'll probably only get 100 watts out of the 370 at 8 ohms. Which might be ok if you want some power amp distortion.

16. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

As noted above, with the 370 ACC head, your best bet is to match it with an ACC cab. I know it sounds like marketing BS, but is generally true. ACC gear was made to work especially well with ACC gear. I own many, many rigs and I'm always mixing them up and experimenting. I've come to the same conclusion that ACC did in the 70's. Not that mixing pieces will not work, and it may work for what you're doing, but I've found that natural mates seem to shine way better than mixed ones. Take a 106 cab. Not huge, but with 2x15 sounds great with a 370. Then there's the true match of the 301 cab. These, at least to my ears, tend to be more on the mid to upper mix heavy with out EQing bottom in. I happen to like more bottom with it, but that's where EQ kicks in. A little tougher size wise. My 2 cents. :cool:

17. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka Supporting Member

i played an acoustic 150 through my 810 at practice the other night because my svt was at the tech.
    it was pretty loud, tons of low mids and bass, not quite my sound. then i tried an acoustic 120 and it was louder, more upper mids, sounded real nice.

also took and acoustic 320 that my bandmate found by a dumpster to the tech, he fixed it for $100 and i'm going to get to hear that one tomorrow at practice. i imagine it's gonna sound awesome.

i would like to play a 370 to see what it's all about but they are a little expensive for a backup head for me...

18. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I gigged with a GK1001RB for years, and a 370 head was my backup. I still have both.

I have used these heads through the same cabinets for years.

The GK by comparison is very "controlled" with a tight, solid low end. The 370 has a huge, uncontrolled low end.

Consider that that head was meant to drive a folded horn 18 cabinet. While the cabinet is large, the actual enclosure of the 18 is quite small...sealed and quite small.

The excursion of that 18 is controlled by the small size of the sealed enclosure. High mids and treble is limited by the frequency response of the 18 AND the folded horn design. The higher the frequencies, the harder time they have getting around the horn's corners.

In use, with the folded horn 18, the low end is somewhat controlled. The frequency turnover points of the eq are quite low. The highest frequency of the graphic EQ is 400hZ! The "bright" switch boosts from 200hZ to 5k. This bright switch was an attempt to force some type of high frequencies from that 18.

The rotary controls are more conventional.

What I found was that the low end through a ported 4X10 (with tweeter) was big, loose, sort of floppy and very old school sounding. The bright switch through the modern, full range speaker was rather brutal.

On a gig, my GK died (tragic "ice water into the cooling fan" accident) and I had to use the Acoustic. I was actually quite surprised at it's performance at the gig. I was using a 4 ohm 15" cabinet and a pair of 8" speakers crossed over at 800Hz. I had a ball. I never really bonded with the "politeness" of the GK. The 370 was old school fat, punchy, rude and loud. Into 4 ohms it "only" puts out 165 watts, but it felt and sounded much louder than the GK. I used that head for the next few gigs and loved it. An intermittent problem (damned edge connectors) pulled it out of service, but it is a formidable head.

I had no trouble with high end with the 370 and I like clear, present high end along with bright roundwounds.

In comparing the two heads, I do believe I prefer the response and tone of the Acoustic over the GK. We are a roots rock/old blues band, and the 370 fit well. I got comments from musicians in the audience, many who had no idea what it was.

19. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

Dude! Nice!

20. zon6c-f

zon6c-f

I am original owner of 1974 370 head.

Mine doesn't care what I plug it into.

Different ohms will yield different power output.

8 ohms yields 1/4 power...4 ohms =1/2 power.

In order to achieve full power, a 370 ultimately wants to 'see' or 'read' (2) ohms, which is either
    (1) 408 or (2) 301 cabs any any other variant you wish to employ. I have plugged mine into SVT 8X10..sounded fine..as expected.

Very versatile heads, due in part in that they are solid state..no internal cooling fan..massive heat sinks on either end.

Great heads with enough power to humble a guitar stack..provided you are running at least 2 bass cabs ..preferably at 2 ohms TOTAL and 200 watts min per cab.

370 was designed to pair with A C 301..folded or w-horn cab.

I have used a 1x12 @16 ohm..2x15 @8 ohm and 1 x18 @4 ohm..all with great success.

When you get your 370 and still don't like what you hear..try different cabs; again 301, 408 or a 2x15 may yield ' best' results.

There is an ACOUSTIC club here on TB, as well as an independent site by and for A C users. Both sources offer a wealth of info/ opinions. You will see familar screen names on both.

21. map34157

map34157 Supporting Member

Just an FYI...I used my 370 with ONE cab (loaded w/ a JBL K140) at a house party this weekend. 8ohms and it was more than enough. Not necessarily perfect clean tone (some grit). But for what my band plays it was perfect. IMO, the 370 is the best vintage SS amp out there.