1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Acoustic 371 Restoration Project - Updated 2/9/2014

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by DarkShark, Feb 9, 2014.

1. DarkShark

DarkShark

2. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

Been following this thread on the Acoustic forum. Great work. Love it.

3. 5port

5port

Looks great. You deff have the talent for refirb. I owned both head and cab back in the day. One tip...WD-40 works as well or better than overrated goo gone.

4. DarkShark

DarkShark

Thanks guys, it's been a lot of work so far. Good thing it's winter otherwise I'd never get it done!

As for WD-40, guess I'll have to try it. I already use it to de-grease mechanical parts. One thing I like about Goo Gone is that you can ooze it out of a bottle a little at a time. And I don't think it has any petroleum in it so it's not as bad if you get it on your hands.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. headband

headband

Very cool. I have a 301 cab in the basement that is in decent shape and sounds good. I have powered it with a Reeves Custom 225 and the combination is a impressive. Unfortunately I will probably have to find a new home for her this year :-(

7. DarkShark

DarkShark

Ah well, they're so big and heavy. Smaller amps for the stage, direct into the PA, that seems the wave of the present and the future.

As for me, I always wanted a 371 but couldn't afford it back in the 70's. Now I can buy a beat up system (I actually bought 2), bring them back to mint condition and be part of the glory. One will be added to my growing collection of restored favorites, the other will go to some die hard acoustic fan.

8. greybeard125

greybeard125 Supporting Member

Wow, Darkshark you really know how to pull up the memories. I still have my 370 which I bought new in the early 70's. Don't know where the 301 went - I do remember trading it for a 2x15 cabinet so I could hear myself on stage tho!!!!
    Now I want one back!!
    If you ever consider doing this for $$ let me know. I'll get my 370 to you and start looking for a 301 for you to re-do.

Amazing work man. Keep us posted

9. DarkShark

DarkShark

It's responses like this that keep me going! Thank you. And yes, maybe I'll become that guy who people send their Acoustic stuff to when they want to bring it back to better than new condition.

10. bray101

bray101 Supporting Member

Absolutely fantastic.

Makes me regret selling my 301 this past summer.

However, the person I sold it to on here (rdwil191) is going to restore it to it's original awesome beauty like you.

If you see this rdwil191, give me an update on it!

Kudos!