Acoustic 406 wide or 70's Ampeg 8x10?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by sunfighter, Dec 2, 2013.

1. sunfighter

sunfighter

Hey Ya'll... so what ya think? I play out of an acoustic 370. I have played out of 8x10's using my old gk 800 and it was cool but I had great experience with my old mesa diesel 2x15. Ive never played out of a 406 wide, but have used the smaller 402 and im not a huge fan of it. Oh I should say the acoustic has upgraded 400w jbl's and the ampeg has originals. Id say I go for a cross between vintage tone and a bit of an aggressive tone (think Billy Cox meets David Wm. Simms). Also play in drop D and use OD/fuzz frequently. Any opinions would help and I appreciate it, really.
  2. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

I like Acoustic Control equipment, so that's the way I would go personally. Using the head with a cabinet it was designed to drive gets good results. That said, when I had a 370, I played it through an Ampeg cabinet a few times and it sounded fantastic. The Ampeg stack was actually a couple of 410 cabinets, so I don't know if it is equivalent, but it sure sounded great. I don't think you can go wrong either way if you like the 370.
  3. lfh

lfh

It would be good to know exactly what JBL drivers that are in the 402 you don't like. E.g. the old D, K, and E 140 have plenty of punch and bottom (in the right cabinet) but have too little upper midrange and treble for many players.

I'd say that a 406 wide can be made to sound good according to most tastes. I'm personally not a big fan of it in stock condition, but with internal dampening added (they have no dampening from the factory) and appropriate drivers e.g. from Eminence or Faital Pro (or old JBL:s for those who want that sound) it's a nice choice. I don't remember the port tuning frequency, but drop D is likely not a problem. I've run a 406 wide with K140:s and a Hipshot D-tuner without problems, but I don't play loud metal.
  4. sunfighter

sunfighter

They are k 145's I believe, but they are in the 406 im getting. The 402 has 400w eminence (not sure of model). Its the smaller 402 cab itself im not thrilled with. Running it with my orange 4x10 its ok. The 406 is in good shape and I suspect itll turn out just right. I appreciate yoir opinions guys.
  5. Register to disable this ad