1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Acoustic 470

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bssplayer1212, Jul 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bssplayer1212

bssplayer1212

I just bought a Acoustic 470 off the internet for $52.50!!!!! I'm just wondering if there's anything I should know about this amp, or why it was so cheap when it works perfectly. Thanks
  2. bssplayer1212

bssplayer1212

Does anyone else own acoustic gear? how does it compare to sunn or other 70's stuff?
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

IIRC, the 470 was mainly a guitar head. Does it have a lead/bass voicing switch like the Model 450?

You got it cheap because every one else was sleeping...or preoccupied.

It is rated 170 watts into 2 or 4 ohms (at 10% THD) and a mind bending 170 watts it is....loud, loud, LOUD!!!!

Great tone too...enjoy!!!!

Info is available at www.acoustic360.com
  4. MiniMic

MiniMic

I owned an Acoustic 470 + 450 during the 1970's I traded away a Sunn Concert Bass Head for the 470 and I was WAY happier with the 470. I agree with everything BillyB said above.
  5. bssplayer1212

bssplayer1212

Yeah it does have the Lead/Bass Switch. Was this the biggest amp in the line-up they had?
  6. relayer66

relayer66

Ouch ouch ouch...you're killing me. Why can't I find one of these Acoustic deals?
    Then again I would need a forklift to carry one of these "refrigerators" to a gig.
  7. BillyB_from_LZ

At the time (early/mid '70s) the big bass amp was the Acoustic 370...a single channel bass amp (with three band rotary eq and 5 band graphic eq) that put out something like 365 watts RMS (10% THD) into 2 ohms. The matching cabinet was the 301, a 48x25x18 in single 18 folded horn with the beautiful blue stripe across the front. The pair known as the 371 ruled the big stages (along with the SVT) in the '70s.

The corresponding guitar head at the time was the 270, same amp basically except no limit control in the power amp (as confirmed to me by Steve Rabe (of Acoustic/AMP/SWR and Raven Labs fame)) and Reverb and Tremolo.

Later in the 70s, Acoustic came out with the 320 and 330 heads.

Here's a link to a recent eBay auction that shows an Acoustic 220 head (that replaced the 450) a 140 head and a 330 head

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7336544979

Hope some of this helps!
  8. bssplayer1212

bssplayer1212

I can get a 301 cab in perfect condition for $100. Is this a good deal and will it sound good with the 470? thanks
  9. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    I JUST sold my Acoustic B320, and it was a BIG GUN of a head. 320W@8ohm, 400+@4ohm. I ran it through 2 2x15s, and it was killer. Acoustic gear is GREAT great stuff. I hope someday to get my B320 back, but I can't hold onto it now, need the money!

-Ray
  10. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

You got a killer deal! I've had my 470 for almost 30 years, like Billy B said, it's a very loud 170 watts! I remember getting it and having a ball with it's effects......even the vibrato was cool.
  11. MiniMic

MiniMic

Yea,
    Go for it if it is in good shape, and you still have a strong back :meh:

If I recall correctly the 301 is a single folded horn 18"

IMHO: Depending on what kind of music you are playing you might want to add a 2x10 or 1x12 on top

Best to ya'
  12. gwreid

gwreid

I have a 220 that I've owned since new and is in mint condition. I don't compare it with "other 70's stuff," I compare it with today's amps and it still rules. Heavy and somewhat old fastioned looking but LOUD and toneful. They sell for ridiculous (low) money. If you've got a few bucks and you've never heard one up close and personal, lay down your cash, you won't be disappointed.
  13. BillyB_from_LZ

If all is well with the speaker, yes, that's a great deal.

There seem to be several versions of the 301, the difference being how you get at the speaker.

The one that I'm familiar with had an access panel on the back of the cabinet.

If the seller is willing (and based on past experience, I'd be insistant) remove the rear panel and look at the speaker. The original speaker is a Vega 18. The surround will be cloth and IIRC kind of an orangey-brown in color. The frame is cast aluminum.

I've been told that the Vega 18s don't age well and loose power handling late in life. I can neither confirm that nor dispute it but you'll want to take a good look at the speakers surround, etc. Also, while the cover is off, play through the cabinet and listen to the speaker directly, the folded horn cabinet design rolls off the high end output of the speaker causing you to miss any kind of scraping or buzzing sounds.

A few years back, I bought a 301 for $150. I played through it at the store (a Music Go Round) for a long time, loud, quiet, with me standing back, with me stuffing my head in the front with a grille removed, etc. Sounded great, I was thrilled!

I got it home and popped off the back cover. Much to my surprise there were some pieces of white rubbery tape on the surround. Removing them exposed some huge holes in the speaker's surround. I was able to patch them with some cotton fabric impregnated with rubber cement. The speaker held up just fine.

I'm a sucker for that beautiful blue strip across the front...in high school back in the '70s when the 301s were one of "the cabinets" to have, I used to spend hours drawing walls of Acoustic 371s dreaming of one day owning one myself.

Anyway, if you have room for the cabinet, can move it around OK and the speaker is in good shape, go for it. Keep in mind that it's louder at 25 to 30 feet away than it is standing next to it...

Good luck!!!
  14. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The 370 (I think that was the model) was one of the reasons that I started playing bass in the mid 70's. I remember walking into a 'teen dance', and the bass player had one of those. It was the first time I could actually 'feel' the bass... and had one of those ''that's what I'm talkin' about'' moments. I was playing keyboards at the time (remember Vox Continentals and Fender Rhodes!) It was shocking to me back then to finally hear a band being literally dominated by that low end when most bands at the time sounded like they didn't even have a bass player. Cool!
  15. Jimmy P.

Jimmy P.

Here is a link to a dealer's site containing a photo of a 1974 Acoustic model 450 head and a model 301 cabinet which shows the blue stripe mentioned above. I would like to know if this cabinet is in fact the 301? (After clicking on the link, scroll down about halfway until the heading - 'Amplifiers')

http://www.davidfromager.com/usedgear.htm
  16. MiniMic

MiniMic

Jimmy P

I am not real sure but this cabinet looks like a single 15" cab
    it looks similar to a Acoustic 136 Bass Combo amp that I owned around 1975 or 76. The slanted bottom port looks exactly like to amp I had
  17. BillyB_from_LZ

No, that's not a 301... My June 1973 Acoustic catalog calls that the 406 cabinet...and it is a single 18 (although it does indeed look like the 136 (1x15) combo that Minimic mentioned).

FWIW, my personal experience with Acoustics started in '74 - '75 and by then the 406 cabinet was a 2x15 with a slotted port in the front between the 15s...

Here's a link to an eBay auction for a 301...this cabinet also has the rear access panel that I described in an earlier post...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7339108698&category=10171&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

The XLR jack on this cabinet in not original. Acoustic used a 1/4 in. thick panel jack.
  18. Jimmy P.

Jimmy P.

Hey, BillyB and MiniMic - thanks for your response. And to bssplayer1212 - it looks like you got an excellent deal!
  19. vintageampeg

vintageampeg Supporting Member

Dude, unbelievable score on the 470. I had seen that and was wondering how much it'd go for. I've got a 470 and it's a killer head. I have the matching 406 cab - 2x15 the narrow version (same width as the head). It sounds awesome but just isn't practical for club gigging, so I went with the Ashdown MAG300 + MAG410T cab (love it). I've also got a beaten up 301. The bass that comes out of that cabinet is nothing short of magnificent. It is the heaviest g-dam cab you'd ever want to move. So it doesn't move much.

There's an active group of acoustic lovers out there and they gather at:
    http://pub24.ezboard.com/bunofficialacousticcontrolcorpmessageboard

also check out http://acoustic360.homeunix.net/
  20. BillyB_from_LZ

OSF...thanks for the updated link to the Acoustic360 website...

Folks, there's a wealth of information at http://acoustic360/homeunix.net catalogs, schematics, manuals, etc. Thanks again OSF for providing the correct link!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.