1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Acoustic B200 amp tone suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by guitardefector, Jan 4, 2013.

1. guitardefector

guitardefector

Hello all. I've recently purchased a Fender Pbass with maple fretboard, my very first. However, I've been trying this and that on my Acoustic B200, trying to tweak the sound to be less bright and tinny, for which maple fretboards are notorious. On my rosewood fretboard basses, this is a non-issue, however, maples are a bit tricky. I'm in search of a warmer, punchier r & b tone.

Any suggestions or combinations of settings would be greatly appreciated.

ps. I'm also running a MarkBass compressore through the amp, everything set at 12 o'clock, if that helps any?

2. wshines1892

wshines1892

Bump the 220 area for low mid thump and cut the upper range of course. You could also try plucking closer to the neck and also make sure you're not using fresh strings, nickels or flats would get what you're going for. I use daddario nickels exclusively and find I only really like them after a month of use.

3. guitardefector

guitardefector

Thanks Wshines. Funny, I took out the rounds that GC had on it and added D'Addario Chrome flats. You're right though. Fresh strings usually take on that bright clanky sound. But for some reason, maple fretboards make this problem worse?? I'll try your suggestion when I get home. :)

4. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

Roll back the tone knob on the bass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. thedudebrah

thedudebrah

Came across this here and it helped me a lot with my Acoustic head. I'm loving it through my 810 and I have 3 maple necked Ps and a maple necked MM.

I have found this guide to be quite useful.

30Hz - 80Hz: The sub-bass region. Be careful when boosting in this range; your speakers might not be happy if you boost too much.

80Hz - 150Hz: The bass region. Boost and cut in this region to change the amount of bass in your sound.

150Hz - 500Hz: If your bass sounds too muddy, try cutting in this region. If it needs a little warmth, try boosting in this region.

500Hz - 900Hz: Boosting in this region can add mid-range growl to your tone. Cutting in this region can make things clean and pristine.

900Hz - 3kHz: Boosting in this region can bring out attack. Cutting in this region can help create a rounder tone.

Above 3kHz: Cutting can bring down the noise without much effect on the signal. Boosting can add a sense of air and space.

7. oniman7

oniman7

Reach around the back and make sure the tweeter is off (assuming it's the combo).

Lower 5K a lot. 3K will probably need to be lowered. Add just a hair to 63 (a little over noon). 150-800 you can adjust to taste. Then you can play with it from there

8. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain

Also remember that amp has an active EQ. A little adjustment can go a long way. That "notch" knob can also add an effect as well.

9. guitardefector

guitardefector

Thanks dudebrah! And thanks to all of you for your input. I'll definitely paste this chart on on my amp for reference. :hyper: