1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Acoustic B200 Notch?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Official Ninja, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Official Ninja

Official Ninja

Hello.

I have an Acoustic B200 combo amp. I don't really understand the purpose of the notch knob. The manual says:

Active -10 dB notch at frequencies from 50Hz to 1kHz – approximately 250Hz with the frequency knob
    at 12 o’clock.

Why would I want to notch a frequency when there are 6 EQ knobs there?
    There is no knob position that turns off the notch?
    Has anyone opened the amp and disabled the notch knob?
    How easy is it to do?

I think it is a great combo. Sounds nice and is plenty loud.
    The notch knob is the only thing I don't like about it.

Thanks!
  2. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

Think of it as a 'take-away' device that can reduce the output of a certain range of frequencies.

Use it to tame a boomy room where one note seems to just kill the audience and overpower any other notes/frequencies that you need to be heard.

Unfortunately, on the B-200H and B-200 combo, the notch filter cannot be turned off. It's always on and you can just find an area of freqs that you don't/won't miss. :\

To use it:

Hit the note that is particularly strong or bounces because of room acoustics, and turn the knob until you find the spot where that note is attenuated.
  3. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Yes - this is how to use it. Also - the notch is much narrower than the EQ bands - it is truly a problem fixer, not a coloring device.
  4. Official Ninja

Official Ninja

5. hailet

hailet

I just bought the B200 MKII. It's a great little amp with great tone. I'm very old school so I'm looking for deeper richer tones and with the EQ I can make my Precision sound like an upright. It's a great little amp that has the right amount of punch.
    BTW I got this amp at the old amps price of $199. How could I go wrong? And then I had a $10 coupon.
  6. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

so if i were to turn the freq. knob all the way to the left on my b600h, I'd be cutting the lowest of lows right?
  7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Yes. If the information above is accurate, all the way left is 50Hz, 250Hz at noon, and 1000Hz at far right.
  8. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

Thanks for the response. That all according to the manual so it should be accurate