Acoustic B200 - Prop 65 Cancer?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Nucci009, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Nucci009

Nucci009

I just bought a Acoustic B200 and on the side of the box it says, prop 65,
    This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.

does anyone have a acoustic amp or anything else that says this or know what this means? Because i am really confused about the information i am reading on the internet. Thanks for the help.

2. bass4worship

bass4worship Supporting Member

I think they're talking about the shipping box.;)

3. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

4. Nucci009

Nucci009

yea kramer thats what i found too but i honestly dont understand that. And i tryed to email the company but they didnt respond yet. Thanks for the help

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lobey

lobey

What isn't know to cause cancer and birth defects in California?

7. Shadi

Shadi Supporting Member

Just entering the state of California can cause cancer.

8. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Don't play your Acoustic amp in California, and you will be fine :bag:

9. Poor Tom

Poor Tom

I've noticed a lot of furniture, ie computer chairs tend to have stickers that say this too. I have no idea what the deal is with it. I guess the point is: don't eat your amp?

p.s. I have the same amp, and AFAIK I am cancer free here in Florida! :D

10. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

If you took the circuit boards out of it, took them into the garage, smashed them into a bunch of little pieces, put the little pieces in a fishing net, waved it vigorously above your head in front of a huge ceiling fan blowing down on you while you breathed in and out really heavily, eventually all that nasty stuff would probably give you lung cancer. Otherwise, you're probably going to be OK.

11. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones! Supporting Member

12. Poor Tom

Poor Tom

That's what you get for trying to "be one" with your music!

13. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    +1. According to california, there isn't one single thing on the planet the does not cause cancer or birth defects. It is an uber litigious nanny state and should be avoided at all costs.:D

Anything will cause cancer if you get enough of it. What they don't tell you is that the amount needed is oftentimes humanly impossible to consume.

As long as you're not licking the glue out from underneath the covering or putting capacitors in your cereal every morning you'll be fine.

14. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Disclosures:
    Various C-titles: Nordstrand Pickups
    The entrance to my old apartment complex had a Prop 65 warning. I used to get yelled at when using so much as a 25-watt practice amp, but other than that I never understood the connection between amps and cancer.

15. bottomend!

bottomend!

I do this daily. Should I switch to only doing it on days that have double consonants followed by a single vowel?

16. rbonner

rbonner

Or end in DAY

17. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice

Disclosures:
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It means don't eat the insulation off the wiring or suck the electrolytes out of the supply caps or do any of a dozen other totally moronic things for which you'd have to be so stupid that one would only hope that you got hit by a car long before any cancers could develop so that you couldn't pass your stupid genes on to another generation. :atoz:

But if your IQ exceeds your shoe size I wouldn't be concerned. ;)

18. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Pretty much what bill Said.

There's some "Stuff" in these amps, that people in california, have found to cause cancer.

That said, you'd have to take your amp open, grind it up into small bits, and then stuff it in saugage tubes. Enjoy. :cool:

You could also try heating up the PCB's and ploppin a nice ham (or turkey, have you!) sandwich down on it.

But in all seriousness. As long as you dont try to.... intake your amp or anything, you'll be fine.

And this sticker is pretty much on anything in California. :rollno:

Reminds me of RoHs... funny thing. Does it pertain any to Bullets? They ARE made of LEAD, and Deadly.... hmm, does RoHs do anything about that??? :confused::confused:

19. srxplayer

srxplayer

This is sad but so true :rollno:

20. koobie

koobie

My post is political, but this entire thread has been political. California is considered by many to be at the forefront of passing environmental protection legislation. Some may find the idea of government trying to look out for it's citizens' health amusing, but I appreciate the intent. Some here may remember it wasn't too long ago that trucks rolled down neighborhood streets spraying DDT. I don't want to go back to those good old days.

21. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    It's one of those good ideas with unfortunate consequences: it's cheaper to put a sticker on everything you make, no matter what goes into it, than it is to risk a lawsuit.

There may or may not be carcinogens involved somewhere in the manufacture of the amp (probably are) but the prop 65 sticker doesn't tell anyone anything useful any more. It's just a CYA measure.