1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Acoustic B200H amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by klejst, Jan 8, 2013.

1. klejst

klejst

I have been on the hunt for a new amp that will get me buy until I get my tax return or save enough for a "better" amp. I have come across a opportunity to pick up a used but in great condition Acoustic B200H amp on the cheap, however I have a few questions I figured someone on here would know be and be able to answer. My cab is a Mesa/Boogie 2x15 with a 800w handling capacity, however it is a 8ohm cab. My question is I noticed the B200H is 200w at 4ohms, would the Acoustic work with my 8ohm Mesa cab? Obviously I am sure the wattage would not be the full 200, however if anyone knows what would it be? Also obviously I will come no where close to that 800w peak the cab has. The cab is plenty loud, especially since most where I play has DI or PA support, however for the rare gig's that don't I want to be able to still be heard.
  2. AllenLee

AllenLee

I just bought a B200H. From my searches, I have found most say ~120W are going to go through a 8ohm cab.
  3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

It will work just fine. You do NOT need to match your amps output to a spkrs thermal rating. The Acoustic amp will power the Mesa 215 just fine, and nothing will explode.
  4. klejst

klejst

Thanks for the responses. I'm looking into the Acoustic, would you highly recommend it or how do you like it Allen? Also is it pretty safe to assume that almost any 800w or less 4ohm amp will work fine with my 8ohm 2x15? With the obvious sacrifice in overall wattage of course?
  5. ChloroPhil315

ChloroPhil315

I have the Acoustic B200 combo amp with one 15 inch speaker and its killer. Great tones for any purpose. With six eq knobs and a frequency notch you get a lot of sound to play around with.
  6. klejst

klejst

I was thinking the same thing about that EQ. Sure it may take some knob turning, but there seems to be a lot of headroom and what you can do with the EQ.
  7. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Yea the combo is a killer!
  8. AllenLee

AllenLee

Unfortunately, my cabinet has not come in yet (backordered..) so I haven't brought it up to gigging volume. I did try it out with every cabinet at my local GC though and liked what I heard through a variety of cabinets. I haven't played it through a 8ohm 2x15 at all, so I can't really say how that'd be like, either.

Depending on the price of the one you've found, I'd say jump on it.
  9. RadioactiveGuy4

RadioactiveGuy4

Its a good little head. I found it really easy to get some nice tones out of it. As long as your guitar players keep their volume in check you should have no problems.
  10. klejst

klejst

$75 seems like a great deal to me
  11. Konigstiger22

Konigstiger22

It's a very clean amp that I think works really well with effects. A little under powered but you should be able to get over a drummer for practices and with PA support you will be fine for gigs. Just my .02
  12. DerTeufel

DerTeufel Supporting Member

I had a Kustom KB200H..pretty much the same as the Acoustic. I used mine with a single 15 at small venues (bars) without PA support and I had no problems being heard. Setting the gain is the key.
  13. klejst

klejst

Just found a guy selling a Hartke Model 2000 for about $20 more. So now I am kind of torn between the B200H and the 2000 :(

I appears the 2000 outputs about 120w as well at 8 ohms, but has both SS and tube pre-amp as well as a full EQ too.
  14. BigEasy59

BigEasy59

I just got the Acoustic B200H head with the B410 and B115 cabs. I can't imagine a venue where I would need any more juice. Since I am a newb, I did about 6 months of research and came up with this as a good all-around package, hoping I was right.

Attached Files:

15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Did your research include reading these amps forums on TalkBass?
    I see you put the 15 on top, which is good, because it won't handle its HALF of the power as well as the cab that divides the other half by 4. Listen for any signs of distress to prevent any damage to it.