Acoustic B200h vs B300h vs Vintage 450?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mintyice, Dec 30, 2013.

1. mintyice

mintyice

So I have the opportunity to get these 3 heads for roughly the same price but I'm having a hard time choosing which to get. B200H sounds great. Never played a B300H but it sounds similar to the B200H, just more wattage and footswitchable overdrive which is a plus, but the quality may be suspect. There's very little info about the 450 (never played it) but everyone says vintage Acoustic heads are great and reliable. What should I do?
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Hard question.
    The vintage Acoustic Control Corp is built to a higher standard but may need some maintenance and who knows when some critical components will be unobtainium.

The GC brand Acoustic if it fails may be a door stop as not much customer support after warranty.

Which amount of cash would be easier to swallow if things smoke?
  3. mintyice

mintyice

If it makes this equation easier, the 450 looks like it's in great shape cosmetically.
  4. B-string

If I said yes I would be lying to you. It helps the resale value but no way to know if it has been stored somewhere with electrolytic caps drying out from non-use or if the person just took very good care of it? If you could get a use and care history that might help (if you get answered honestly).
  5. mintyice

mintyice

Just talked to the guy and he said it's in great shape and it was serviced last year
  6. B-string

That would swing me in its direction. :)
  7. mintyice

mintyice

That's my thinking... Now I just need to find on a suitable cab... any suggestions?
  8. B-string

Depends on what you have room for. A 4 ohm 212, 215 or 410 would be my first suggestion of course an old ACC 215, 415, or 18" folded horn 301 would be great ;).
  9. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

It sounds like the old 450 is the way to go. I have been flogging ACC amps for a very long time and they have been near bulletproof. Start looking for an ACC cabinet to go with it. Guitar Center has them for a reasonable price on a regular basis and it doesn't cost that much to get them to ship one from a remote location to whatever is closest to you.