1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Acoustic B410 vs. Peavey 410TX

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Hamlet7768, Jun 30, 2013.

Peavey 410TX or Acoustic B410?

1. Peavey 410TX

62 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. Acoustic B410

26 vote(s)
    20.3%
  3. Carrots

40 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

It's yet another installment of "Hamlet can't figure out what to buy and has weak google-fu so he's going to ask people on TalkBass for their Educated Opinions!"

Or; "Tell me what you know about these amps."

I've been scoping out these two cabs on Sam Ash's used site, and they both seem right up my alley: plenty of power to handle both the Crate head I'm trying to pair up, and then some; nice 4x10 setup (which seems to be what I want based on what I've read); and they both seem pretty low-priced for a cab on their level.

The Peavey costs $149.00, and the Acoustic costs $179.00. I'm hesitant to go straight for the cheaper one, because I've always had good experience with Acoustic amps. Burning questions I've had:

- I read somewhere (I want to say on this site) that Acoustics have a midscoop. Is this true? Do either of them have a midscoop?

- I definitely read on this site that you can do something to the tweeter in the Peavey to add to the midrange. Can someone explain this process?

Other than that, I'm just looking for recommendations one way or the other.

2. gpx1200

gpx1200

I have an acoustic 410 and don't like it much, it gets muddy at high volumes or I should say attempts at high volumes because this cab doesn't produce much volume at all. and acoustics quality just plain sucks, the jacks are completely plastic except for the electrical contacts, it only took about 3 weaks for the jack and circuit board holding the tweeter switch to totally break off and fall into the cab but that was 2 weaks longer than the b600 head I boght with it lasted, I would never buy an acoustic product again.
    I had a peavey 210 then a 410 years ago not shure it was a tx though I remember something about Kevlar being used in the speaker cones but it was a much better quality cab then the acoustic, even if it's a lot older i'd go with the peavey.

3. gpx1200

gpx1200

quality aside one other major difference is the acoustic is a sealed cab while the peavey is ported I believe, mine was anyway wich is probably why the peavey is louder.

4. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I have to agree with this. I once played an acoustic 410 a while back in a big chain store due to my budget at the time for about an hour and a half. I was really trying to like the acoustic because I needed a cab bad. But after I played through it for that amount of time I came to the conclusion that, IMO, that those acoustics suck. They are shottily made and really sound like crap. Again, my opinion. I haven't plugged into to many peavys but I do know that they are a higher quality than acoustics. I ended up getting a used fender bassman 410 that was used in the store that day. It was more than I was looking to spend that day but it did me good for about 8 years or so. I know that I would've regretted getting that acoustic.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Hamlet7768

Huh. Did not know Acoustic had that reputation. Bit of a shame. Ah well, good to know. Leaning heavily for the Peavey now; I can spend the money saved on casters.

7. rockamimjazz

rockamimjazz

An hour and a half test drive on one cab? You must have a really put it through its paces!

8. Thundar

Thundar Supporting Member

Ive never played the Acoustic 410, but I owned 2 of the Peavey 410TX's back in the day and they are killer cabs...just heavy

9. wighat

wighat

I used the Acoustic cab in a pinch for several gigs a while back. It was better than I thought it would be based on how inexpensive they are. I have owned a Peavey 210TX. I used it as the top to biamped rig so I can't really comment except that it seemed stout.

10. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy Supporting Member

The Peavey is heavy, bulky, and has no note clarity. The Acoustic is a bit easier to handle, and sounds decent for the same price point.

11. Thundar

Thundar Supporting Member

Thats interesting, especially since Bass Player magazine gave it high marks at the time, and I got A LOT of compliments on my tone then, especially when playing my Spector through them... hmmm.:confused:

12. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

Consider Carvin NEOs or Avatar...

13. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    As a matter a fact, yes I did. You don't have to spend 24 hours with certain pieces of gear to find out that it's really not all that good. Thanks so much for being a smart a**. We need more people like you in this world so we can learn from your genius.

14. BigRedBassPlayer

BigRedBassPlayer Gold Supporting Member

I used to own a Peavey 410TX. And I've played the Acoustic 410 at GC. To me, there is no comparison. The Peavey 410TX gave me everything I needed in my speakers. I heard every note clearly. As it has been stated, they are heavey. I had a 410, 115, and a Trace Elliot head and I was setting up over 200lbs a show combined. They weigh about 80lbs. But, if you don't mind that, they are worth every bit of that $149.

15. bmc

bmc

I'm not a big fan of Peavey. But, three things they have made that really impressed me were the TL-5, 210TX and 410TX. Those cabs were impressive back in the mid 90's. Bass Player did a shootout of 410's and rated the 410TX very highly against stiff competition.

I have no experience with the current Acoustic line

16. Hamlet7768

I'm on a bit of a tight budget right now. I almost jumped on an Avatar 410 in the classifieds for less than the Peavey, but shipping made it cost only $15 or so less than new.

17. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

the acoustic came alive with my L2k, sounded muffled and undefined with regular output basses

peaveys sound good ime, but i mostly played 12s and 15s

18. Ray man

Ray man

I've owned a 2x10tx since '94.
    I modified it for more mids, the tone keeps me happy.

19. RadioactiveGuy4

RadioactiveGuy4

+1 for Peavey

They are heavy but they are built like a tank. That Peavey will last a long time.

20. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

3 Guitar Center employees told me to stay away from Acoustic last week.

"They're not the same company they used to be"

Which I found really surprising, considering who pushes them. Those guys have my respect.:cool:

21. Systolic

Systolic

+1 for Avatar. Sounds good. Pretty light. Nice price point.

That being said, I rocked a 410 TVX for a while and it gave me everything i needed from a tone perspective. Plenty loud (I play in a rock/metal band,) plenty bright and clear....i played it with the tweeter almost completely off, and could handle a low B without issue. Only problem was that it was big, bulky and heavy. Though it was built like a tank.

IMHO, if you are parking this cab somewhere. I'd go with the Peavey all day long if you're on a budget. If you're gigging and moving it semi regularly i'd push for the Avatar or maybe some of the GK MBE II stuff.