Acoustic B450 Driver replacement

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by solvera2010, Jan 7, 2014.

1. solvera2010

solvera2010

Hi all, I bought a used Acoustic B450 combo amp with big discount because one of the drivers was blown. I have been getting mixed information from GC and Acoustic. GC says the max wattage is 225 and Acoustic says 225 is RMS.....

I need some clarification... should I listen to GC or Acoustic and does anyone know what kind of speakers I can put in???

I had bought some speakers on EBay before emails from Acoustic, but RMS is 150 and max is 300.

Thanks for your help.

2. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

I would say GC is closer to correct but I would not place any bets they would handle 225 peak. It's a entry level import house brand, don't know if you could find the originals other than from "Acoustic".

3. solvera2010

solvera2010

Yeah and they aren't too open with where I can get them or even if they will send me a pair for a price. I guess I'll wait for the speakers to get here and will give it a try. if they can't handle the load from the amp then I'll just have to scramble another way.

So here's my poor attempt to understand amps, wattage, and speakers.

My amp is rated as a 450 watt combo amp. That is the max internal speaker wattage. So if I get two speakers at 225 max that equals 450. max usage of each speaker right?

OR is it 450 watts per speaker??

Thanks.

4. B-string

The amp "puts out" the power depending on the load. Speakers are rated for maximum they can accept from an amplifier without burnout. If you have multiple speakers they share the power from the amp. If you have four 200 watt speakers with an amp that can output 450 watts, each speaker can receive 112.5 watts.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. solvera2010

solvera2010

Well, I got my replacement driver and installed it into the cab. Turned it on, played and it sounded like crap!! 1. either crappy driver. 2. wattage RMS being 300 is not enough or better yet the driver can't handle performance that high. Well next on my plans is I ordered a driver from ebay, will hopefully get that this weekend. Also, I didn't know this but blown coils can be repaired! I'll be doing that with my blown driver to be a replacement. It never fails me the constant learning opportunities that life brings me. Love it!

7. B-string

Chances are with #1 or the box doesn't meet the needs of those speakers. Voice coils can't be "repaired" as you need to pretty much destroy the speaker cone it is glued to get to it. They do have re-cone kits for many speakers that include new voice coils, cones and inner/outer suspensions.

8. solvera2010

solvera2010

Thanks B-String 2.....

9. B-string

No trouble. One of the things we learn with bass cabs is not just any speaker will work in any bass cab and a different speaker when combined with the originals can turn out REALLY bad. :)

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 chances are, dropping in an unknown driver into that box will end in failure. You need spkrs that are spec'd for that box. Acoustic is owned by GC, and they are made in China, with Chinese spkrs.