Acoustic B600H

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by evergroove, Apr 28, 2009.

1. evergroove

evergroove

I might ramble here a bit... I apologize if I go one too long :bag:

Went to the local (well... if you can call 40 miles away local ;) ) GC the other day and noticed a older, G&L, Tibute L-2000 on the wall. I've been shopping for my first bass and many people have recommended the G&L Tribute series. So... the C employee plugs the G&L into a, you guessed it, Acoustic B600h driving the 8x10 cab.

I was very impressed. The G&L had so many tonal variations and was very comfortable to play. I couldn't put it down!

We tried it with the 4x10 and the 4x10 with the 1x15. Unfortnately the G&L was still on "police hold" until 5/11 but I went ahead and brought home the B600H and B410 cab to test out at home.

What I don't like is the 410 cab is 8 ohms so I'm not getting anywhere near the 600 watts but it's still loud. So I have a couple o' questions...

I was thinking on adding the 1x15 to the 4x10 for some versatility. I could run that full stack at larger shows or have the option of a single 15 or the 4x10s in the studio for different tones. Thoughts? Am I getting any tone "suck" from running at 8ohms and lower wattage vs. lower ohms and getting closer to what the head is rated at?

Additionally... are these amp/cabs doing well for those that are gigging them? I'm a little leery about long term reliability.

Also, should I be considering, maybe, some Avatar cabs instead?

My self imposed budget for a first bass rig is about $1500 to $1700. The G&L was only $349 so I still have some scratch to play with - if that is even necessary.

The Acoustic did have a great tone - in the store - and still seems to at home. I say "seems" to because the only bass here to try out right now is an Epiphone SG Short Scale that isn't mine. The bass is pretty cool but it isn't my G&L.

So... don't issue me a member number yet until I decide to keep the Acoustic. Just looking to get some answers from some acoustic guys...

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I don't own one, but I too was impressed with the tone from the B600 through an 810. When you get more info here, you can make up your mind about a second cab, personally, I'd add another 410, or go with another brand altogether.

3. rbonner

rbonner

I've done a review and have played this unit with the 810 myself and have considered buying one for the collection.

If I was you I would cart the 410 back to the store and drag home the 810 and stop worrying about it. GC has the B600H and 810 on sale right now for about $1100 anyway so you are under your budget. That 810 is small and light compared to the AMPEG it weighs about as much as my 410 cab does. BOB

4. evergroove

evergroove

Well, ideally instead of the 810 I'd just get another 410 for a bit more versatility. If I play a smaller venue then I wouldn't have to lug the 810 around. That was the idea anyway...

I'd be interested to hear some other brand suggestions that would work for the band I am currently in as well as serve as an amp that clients can use when they come to the studio.

The band is hard rock boarding metal...

Thanks guys!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. grifff

grifff

Look into Carvin's stuff for good amps on a budget. I'm thinking about picking up the BX1200 head with the neo 410 and just bridging them to get the full output. I would never need 1200 watts, but headroom is always a plus. :cool:

7. wildhorse

wildhorse

Evergroove,
    I currently play with the B600H and a B115 Cabinet and love it. I like that bottom end thump. Keep in mind that using one 8 ohm cabinet puts you at 275 watts. The 115 is rated at 250 watts and the 410 at 400 watts. 2- 8 ohm cabinets runs you at 450 watts and
    4-8 ohm cabinets is 600 watts. Just using the B810 (4ohm cab) is 450 watts and that sucker is HEAVY. I really wanted to add a 410 on top of my 115 or another 115 because I like that stacked look. So I went to GC and stacked them up. The 115 and 410 sound good together. I don't like the 410 by itself but that's just me. I sit about 3" away from my rig on a small stage and decided the stack would be too hard on my ears and my kidneys for any length of time. Instead I opted for Seymour Duncan pickups in my Squier. Maybe someday I'll just drop a 4 ohm speaker into my cabinet for grins. My advise for you is go with both cabinets as you say for versatility and no I don't think you get any tone suck from the lower wattage. Think this way: 275 watts to one cabinet, 225 watts to each of two cabinets or you could run two B810's and put 300 watts into each 800 watt rated cab.

8. vinxbass

vinxbass

I was using that exact rig untill I picked up the Carvin BX500 head. Now I'm running the BX500 into the BRX10.4 Neo and it sounds better than the BX1200 running into the BRX10.4 Neo. It's hella loud and sounds down right awesome. My bass is a '08' MIA Fender Jazz V and it handles the low B with no problems whatsoever - great rig for the money.;)

9. Richland123

Richland123

I have been been an Acoustic fan since 1976 and used to play though an Acoustic 370 head with a 301 cabinet and loved the sound. I just bought a new Acoustic B600H bass amp head Friday. I played it for two gigs and am still tweaking the controls but so far I am impressed and so are my bandmates. I am playing a 1983 Steinberger L2 bass with active pickups. I am running it into an 8 ohm load Carvin cabinet with 2 EV 15" speakers. The speakers are almost 30 years old and the amp made them sound like new. What makes this amp versatile is the fact the even though it is solid state, it has setting to make it sound like a tube amp with overdrive if necessary. It has some very cool features. It has such a rich, bottom and nice top end with clean sound but it has tons of power even at 8 ohms and I barely had the volume up in medium sized venues and it kicked.

10. fatgoogle

fatgoogle

Wait a second, your first bass??? seems abit over bored for a first setup, i began with a Squier standard P special and a 20watt combo. I don't know if i read it wrong or not. But the tribute bass is really good, i was thinking bout getting tribute 5er for a backup. I haven't played an acoustic amp, but everyone seems to praise them.

11. Richland123

Richland123

When I checked out getting an Acoustic B600H head at the Guitar Center in Virignia Beach, they had 7 of them in stock. By the time I had to money only two weeks later to buy it, they only had one left. The store manager said they are selling very fast.

12. infamusblkdeath

infamusblkdeath

man i must be stupid.i never knew your cab could limit the amount of volume you get.i thought the heads did all the dirty work...:rollno:

13. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Takes both to get the job done, otherwise why need both in the first place? Just sayin';)

14. evergroove

evergroove

I've been playing the B600H for a couple weeks now and really digging it. I'm not 100% on the cab, but the head I am happy with for sure.

15. theavondon

theavondon

Well, to get the full power of the head, I'd say buy 2 of the Acoustic 8X10s. Also, the new Acoustics are pretty sturdy. I have a B200H and 2 of the 15s and they've lived up to being dropped, knocked around in cars, and other forms of mis-treatment. Although, my B200H just inexplicably died one day right before a show, but i just drove up to GC and they replaced it for me immediately.

16. rbonner

rbonner

I dont know if I'd go that far as to add a second cab on this unit. It will play but I dont know if it will really whomp the two. The one I played at GC had the B810 and a HArtke hooked up, I discoed the Hartke right away and played just the Acoustic stuff. I probably should have tried the Hartke cab on there too, but I was already knocking Les Paul's off the wall and they were getting cranky.

These amps are not powerhouses, they just make reasonable poop at a reasonable price and sound reasonably good.

By the time you buy a pair of cabs and a head you're on the way to an AMPEG 810 and SVT-4PRO and a lot more zoom.

BOB

17. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Best Buy sells Ampegs.

Might be closer than GC!:D

18. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Thought I saw an ad at Big Lots also :p :bag:

19. GearHeadBassMan

GearHeadBassMan

Walmart started stocking Ampeg as well. always low prices.

20. evergroove

evergroove

Wha'??? You're joking... right?

21. Tvrtko

Tvrtko