1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

acoustic bass amp or pa

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by nickbasspage, Dec 8, 2012.

1. nickbasspage

nickbasspage

hi i have just got a aria 4 string acoustic bass guitar and i have just seen two pa speakers in my local charity shop for £30 can i use these i think thay have one 12" and two small cones these are 150w each if i get a power amp or use through a mixer with a pedal like a boss fx style for all the sounds and settings would this work for small gigs or rehersal or would getting a dedicated amp like a laney for £445 be better please help thanks
  2. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Welcome to TalkBass nickbasspage.

While the "PA" speakers You saw sound very tempting price-wise, and can be even diamonds in the rough if someone just didn't know what they had, there's no way to tell without some additional information. Like the make & model.

And that doesn't obviously ensure they're even functioning.

OTOH, £30 for a pair of 12" PA speakers of any kind would be a hard find to resist.
    For me anyway ;).

As You already know, you'll need a power amp to power those babies up, but if the price of the Laney is any indication of your budget, then the "PA route" would definitely be worth considering. An amp/mixer shouldn't be more than £100 if You shop wisely/used, and a decent pre about the same.

You do know that the most important qualities of the bassplayer are the van and the PA :D.

Regards
    Sam
  3. RadioactiveGuy4

RadioactiveGuy4

I'm a bass player and I own the PA....
  4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

It would depend on what you need for rehearsal. It's unlikely to do much for you in a rock setting, acoustic bass or not. They are highly unlikely to have any grunt in the low end so you would need to EQ quite nasally to get volume.

I find the Laney gear of late kinda chintzy. You don't need to spend 450 quid either, but should be able to get a killer rig for that.
  5. christw

christw Always searching for the right Ric... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I'd buy the speakers for PA monitors or for practice if it were me. As these guys said, 450 quid should buy you a pretty decent rig, especially used. With patience, I can put together a decent (cheap) PA for ~400-500 USD but a bass amp it will not be.
  6. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Well, we have to take Your word for it, since over here that's perfectly doable.

You have to have that van then though, those old suckers ain't small.
    Or light ;).

Regards
    Sam
  7. nickbasspage

nickbasspage

hi all sorry for not replying could not get on here for some reson.

The pa speakers are soundcraft i think
    but found out today that thay have two pairs the 150w watt ones at £30.

And a bigger set same make but 250w each
    for £70 i know from my guitar days that feedback from a acoustic can give feedback at high volumes.

so a sound hole cover for my bass would sort that .

I dont have a van but these which ever i buy will fit in car and are not to heavy .

I was close year before last to £50 short of a ashdown head and cab for £350 at local cash converter second hand sales shop .

I was new to bass got a 5 string peavey millenium and a 40w practice amp when the band i joined ditched me due to lack of exprience .

So ended up selling bass and amp and getting credit note and buying a tv anyway that left a hole in my heart and after watching a guy on you tube .

the acoustic bassiest play maiden songs on a acoustic bass which didnt look like a very over expensive one .

And the sound was to much for me i had to go and get a aria 4 sting electro acoustic bass .

As for making a amp or pa well as i do electronics as a hobby and use to do it for main job thats no prob could do one myself.

I think it depends on the band i join or start to what sort of amp or pa speakers i need if a all acoustic band then the small pa speakers would do but if one with mad drummer then a big set of pa speakers or second hand rig from ebay will do the job
  8. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Use the return key more often and twice each time. Stream of conscious writing is a bear to read.

Big is good. Soundcraft has a quality rep, doesn't make them immune to abuse such as trying to get rock bass out of them. Is that clear enough?

By all means check them out with a view to practising and rehearsing but not gigging with bass in them.
  9. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Yeah, paragraphs rule ;).

Soundcraft?

I have no experience about their current offerings, but the old ones are nearly indestructible buildwise. Just as Downunderwonder said, quality doesn't make 'em immune to abuse though.

For that kind of money I'd probably snag both pairs, one as monitors, one as the mains.

Regards
    Sam
  10. nickbasspage

nickbasspage

Thanks guys sorry for lack of return key .:spit:

Got carryed away as you do ..:bassist:

And have edited the post to suit lol :hyper:
  11. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

It's an improvement but getting carried away with the return key doesn't do great things for intelligibility either. One general idea per paragraph is the general rule. It preps the readers brain for taking on a new idea or an explanation of the old idea with the new paragraph.

hi all sorry for not replying could not get on here for some reson.

The pa speakers are soundcraft i think, but found out today that thay have two pairs the 150w watt ones at £30. And a bigger set same make but 250w each for £70. I dont have a van but these which ever i buy will fit in car and are not to heavy.

I know from my guitar days that feedback from a acoustic can give feedback at high volumes. so a sound hole cover for my bass would sort that .

I was close year before last to £50 short of a ashdown head and cab for £350 at local cash converter second hand sales shop .

I was new to bass got a 5 string peavey millenium and a 40w practice amp when the band i joined ditched me due to lack of exprience . So ended up selling bass and amp and getting credit note and buying a tv anyway that left a hole in my heart and after watching a guy on you tube .

the acoustic bassiest play maiden songs on a acoustic bass which didnt look like a very over expensive one . And the sound was to much for me i had to go and get a aria 4 sting electro acoustic bass .

As for making a amp or pa well as i do electronics as a hobby and use to do it for main job thats no prob could do one myself.

I think it depends on the band i join or start to what sort of amp or pa speakers i need if a all acoustic band then the small pa speakers would do but if one with mad drummer then a big set of pa speakers or second hand rig from ebay will do the job.

So ends free English lessons tonight.
  12. nickbasspage

nickbasspage

God im only human and here for advise not a english lesson
  13. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    I'm with T-bird and say get both sets IF they both work properly, or grab whichever ones do work properly. They'll do you, at least for now, and you'll always have a use for them, bass rig or not.

Things like PA gear, vans, a general good attitude, some electronics mr. fix-it abilities, and the ability to sing backing vocals are all things that make you a greater asset to any group in addition to being a good bass player.:smug:
  14. nickbasspage

nickbasspage

the pa speakers have gone so as using a acoustic bass what would be the best practice amp to buy