Acoustic Bass Buzzes!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by uvlt, Dec 30, 2012.

1. uvlt

uvlt

Hallo!
    For a year now, I own an AEB8E-BK Ibanez acoustic bass, and decided to change the old strings (they first came with the bass, as i bought it). I bought a Thomastik AB344 set of strings... The sound is what i really like, except one big problem. The E string buzzes, (not on the fret...), on the hole length regardless the note i play. The sound seems to come from the string itself or from the body of the instrument. I cannot be sure. I checked everything, inside and outside the bass, with no luck. Checked the neck if it was not straight, e.t.c. Nothing... I used back my old E string, and no buzz at all.. The sound i hear is recorded in the file I uploaded. You can hear the buzz sound from E, and no buzz from A,D,G strings.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Nikos

2. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

Sounds like the buzz is coming from the E string ball rattling inside. This would be caused by the ball not firmly seated against the bridge pin.

3. uvlt

uvlt

Thanks for the reply, i'll check it tomorrow....

4. uvlt

uvlt

I think you are right, the ball was a little loose... But trying to fix it, i just destroied the string :( . I over-tented it turning the ball to stabilize it (wrong method!). Now i'm waiting for the reply of the Thomastik company... Any way, thanks again.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

7. uvlt

uvlt

Thanks again...

8. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

The ball end is to be firmly seated against the bridge plate. When correctly installed, the pin is inserted merely for security.

9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

If you destroyed the string, the replacement is up to you, not the manufacturer.

10. uvlt

uvlt

The replacement is up to me of course (i cannot play with a 3-string bass!). The initial problem is manufacturers fault (specially for a string that costs 20 euros...), as the ball was firmly seated, the wire around the ball was a little loose, and that is what i tried to fix, turning it... But of course, i didn't sent it back before i try to fix it myself, so i have already paid for a new one... I'm waiting Thomastik's answer just curious to see what the 'll say to me..