1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Acoustic bass contest: Takamine egb2s v. Boulder Creek BR-3N4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by velalv, Nov 22, 2012.

1. velalv

velalv

Title says it all.

I would like some help choosing whether to get the Takamine acoustic bass http://www.adirondackguitar.com/lefty/takamine/bass/bass2.htm or the Boulder Creek Acoustic Bass recently reviewed by Bass Player mag http://bouldercreekguitars.com/EBR3-NB-4.html.

I just was blessed by someone close to me, who indicated a willingness to purchase either of these basses. Would love a Martin, but that would be abusing the trust and gift I am being given to ask.

I want to use this as a travel bass, and to play at Bible studies in living rooms, and to practice at home when plugging in would not be appropriate. Maybe bring to the occasional bar gig when working with a singer on an acoustic.

1) Which is louder, understanding I won't be able to play with more than 1 person on guitar generally?
    2) Which has the better preamp for times I have to plug-in?
    3) What are the specs on the necks of these basses?
    4) Does the fact that both have laminate sides have implications for tone? If so, what kind?

Thanks for help in doing the direct comparison, and hope folks had a good Thanksgiving.
  2. velalv

velalv

Bump. Help! The Boulder Creek ABG will be coming out soon, and want to get a great sense of what I may be getting into. Hard to find these lefty.
  3. wingmanborge

wingmanborge

Have tried both and the boulder creek is by far my favorite - warm good fairly loud acoustic tone, less feedback issues when plucked in and imo a beatiful thing. Good luck
  4. velalv

velalv

Thanks! I should have noted that I ended up getting a Martin Bc15e with mahogony body instead