Acoustic Bass... Ibanez AEB5E... Anyone have experience with it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassman Ski, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Bassman Ski

Bassman Ski Supporting Member

Looking for a good cheap acoustic bass and I saw the Ibanez AEB5E for $200.00.

Now I saw an Ovation for $300.00

What do you guys think? Pay the extra for the Ovation or is the Ibanez good.

I am not looking for anything high end. Just maybe some open mic nights with my singer at small coffee shop type venues.

The Ibanez:
    [​IMG]

Ovation Applause:
    [​IMG]

2. Orangeclawhammr

Orangeclawhammr Supporting Member

I just sold my AEB5 because I bought a Gold Tone MicroBass. The AEB5 served a purpose, but I never really liked its size. Before I bought it, I had a Sky acoustic bass that I thought sounded better, but it had a neck like a roller-coaster. The Ibanez is medium scale (32"), if that makes a difference to you. I have no experience with the Ovation.

If you get the Ibanez, keep it adequately humidified. The top on mine started to collapse due drying out.

3. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

4. FloridaTim

FloridaTim

I got the ABE10E and have been very happy with it. Used at GC for a fraction of new. Paid more for the case than the guitar.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tbone76

Tbone76

I had an AEB10 when I first started playing, and it was a solid bass with a decent preamp and good acoustic sound. I also bought an Applause by Ovation 4 string and returned it within 2 days. The acoustic sound was non-existent, and the bowl shaped back was uncomfortable to play standing. When seated the body shape would make the bass shift away from my body. These may not be issues or you, but definitely get your hands on one if possible before you buy. Good luck!

7. Mackanbass

Mackanbass

I borrowed a Ibanez from a friend, I think it was a similar model, and really liked it. Played it through an ampd mostly. I thaught the acoustic volume was a little to weak for my taste. Very dynamic and good sounding.

I ended upp buying a boulder creek last summer and absolutely love it. Very loud acoustic tone. Played with a pick it can hold on its own playing with my bluegrass band but I also got an 8" Ampeg combo witch is not too much to carry around.

/Marcus

8. CJAtheBassman

CJAtheBassman

I have an AEB5E with D'Addario nylon tapewounds and I am happy with it. Be sure to have it set up, though, because that was an issue for me until recently (when I finally set it up).

9. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

After several years with the AEB10, I feel it was well worth it.

I've had ZERO quality issues with it and for sure there isn't any collapsing of the top from poor construction, so I think someone put really heavy strings on theirs and caused the damage for themselves.

I stick to the OE-type bronze wounds, as they produce a nice twang and/or thump with different muting or plucking styles.

One thing - the glossy black finish is a butt-nasty thing to keep neat and un-smudged or un-fingerprinted. Perhaps I shouldda gotten the natural finish.

The preamp works well, the tuner is right on (I've heard of some brands on other AEBs that have built in tuners that were several clicks off pitch, but this one is great).

One last point --- if you use an amplifier, invest in a sound hole plug.

Oh yeah - make sure the top nut is correctly set up - mine was too high and the playability was a problem until I recut the string notches and dropped the strings by half the original setting.

The neck is rock-solid, no twists or sags, and it is as flat as you can ask for. . . always was and still is.

Humidifiers are not a necessary evil for this bass I feel, as mine always hangs on the wall, travels in a case and between Southern California with single digit humidity and 120F temps to Montana sub zero and somewhat more moisture, there hasn't ever been a problem with warpage of either the neck or the box et al.

The Ibanez factory case is a tad cheaper than the TKL I got even though the factory case is BUILT be TKL. Go figger.

10. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I would get an AB10 over either of the choices above.. It falls between the two basses if you go to Musician's Friend... The Ovation looks nice but it has no balls unplugged but if you are willing to drop a bit more for an ABG I would check The Perfect Bass and see if they still have any of those Breedloves left. They sell new at Gc for $899 but you can get one from TPB for $475 after applying the TB discount.. a bit more than you wanted to spend but it is the absolute best ABg you will find at that price at the moment.. If they have any left that is.

11. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

I have the AEB5. Good bass for $199. I'm very happy with it.

12. Amara

Amara Fumble-Fingered Beginner Supporting Member

Conversely, if you're looking in the $200 range, I'd go "down" to the Dean EAB (~$150), which sounds really fantastic unplugged. It has a bigger body than the Ibanez, and gives a much nicer tone at a bigger volume. I've never played the Ibanez plugged in, so I can't comment on how the pickups compare.

13. ragc

ragc

Just got an AEB5. Took the phosphor bronze roundwounds off immediately and strung Galli Nylon Tape Wound 055/115s for acoustic bass. The sound volume does not go down much, but the thump is there, the buzz gone! Amplified it sounds great, and the built-in-tuner is ok. It is a great deal for the price.

14. chuck3

chuck3

funny, I've got an AEB5 and haven't used it much, but I'm thinking of doing just what you said and using it for acoustic gigs.