1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Acoustic Bass Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tabatchnick, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Tabatchnick

Tabatchnick

2. prd004

prd004

Rotosound flats have way too much tension for an acoustic bass, if you don't pull the bridge off, you will certainly lift the top/bridge area and do some damage to your bass.

I would go with low tension flats (like TI's) or nylon tapewounds
  3. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    You could do it. Just don't go for the 77LE heavy tension set. Go for the SM77 set 40-100
  4. Tabatchnick

Tabatchnick

Thanks for the input all!

I will play it safe and go with the RotoSound RS88LD. They are nylon flatwound, ultra low tension.
  5. prd004

prd004

I much prefer the LaBella Tapes over the Rotosound. The Roto's had a gigantic E string that would not fit in the nut slot on my AEB
  6. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    You will have to modify the nut to fit those keep that in mind.
  7. Cnote2

Cnote2

I have the exact same bass & I was thinking about changing the strings this was right on time
  8. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

I have that bass and heavy strings make playable action difficult to set. Lighter is better.

TI flats or light chromes work well. Anything over a 105 won't fit in the estring bridge peg.
  9. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I used to have a lovely Michael Kelly fretless acoustic, and sold it to a guy (bad decision...). A few weeks later he emails me accusing me of selling him a defective instrument and wanting me to pay for repairs. The nut was cracking and the bridge had broken. It was in perfect shape when I sold it to him, he had spent 20 minutes at my house trying it out. Looked at pics he sent, and clearly he had tried putting high-tension strings on it and destroyed the poor instrument when he tried to tune them up. Go with low tension!
  10. 3234718

Agreed. Another thing worth mentioning, low tension strings don't feel like low tension once they're strung on the bass. I had 40-95 chromes on the ibby acoustic and they felt just as tight as 45-105 on an electric. The TI's I have on there now aren't at all like wet noodles, which is what they feel like to me on an electric.
  11. oysteivi

oysteivi

I like tapewounds for playing unamplified on an acoustic. The clank just from fretting a metal string normally is unpleasant to me.

I didn't do any damage to my (p.o.s) Oscar Schmidt OB100 when I put Steve Harris signature RS77 strings on it, but the truss rod couldn't be tightened enough to fully straighten the neck. That's a 32" scale, however. On a 34", the higher tension might have busted something. I have D'Addario black nylon tapewounds on it now, but as the bass is still a p.o.s, it's mostly a display item in my living room.
  12. 3234718

Did you tell him about this? How did it work out?
  13. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm allergic to lentils, lima beans and Hip-Hop.
    I've used a bunch of different ones before settling on Rotosound Photos/Bron 40-100. They don't have those odd overtones in the upper register most alternatives do. The only downside is the price.
  14. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I had a thread about it on TB a while back. He was emailing me wanting me to pay for the repairs, and I refused, since a) he had taken ample time to examine the bass to his satisfaction and b) CL sales are as-is anyway. I only figured out that he must have put the wrong strings on it after I stopped returning his emails.
  15. braud357

braud357

I have changed the strings on my Dean ABG twice - first replacement set was Dean Markley's - they sounded great ! When they needed replacing - I had some trouble finding them in stock. I decided to try a set of coated Elixir strings. I thought - no more bronze fingers ! Put them on and was EXTREMELY disappointed - very dull sounding ! They are still on there, but I will be replacing them very soon. And, remember what was said on a prior post - do not try to use standard bass strings on a ABG - something is bound to give !
  16. zon6c-f

zon6c-f

I replaced to stock bronze-rounds with LaBella short scale strings on my Fender ABG-1.

Sounds more like a bass than a bass-guitar..which it actually is, when strung with bronze rounds.

Still a P.O.S. instrument...Sounds better but intonation /set up/ repairs are not worth the investment. Would cost at least as much to repair as original cost of instrument.
  17. heynorm

heynorm

LaBella black nylon tapes on my Ibanez acoustic bass are like butta!