Acoustic Bass tuning....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sparker, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Sparker

Sparker

Hello TB'ers

Just picked up a used Ibanez AE5 just to horse around on when I don't want to plug up. Plays well although has nylon strings and a bit muddy. Tried to slap on a set of phosphor bronze strings and popped the low E, yes thats right the low E. I used the on board tuner. Don't think I'll do that again. I put the nylon strings back on and tuned an octave lower and everything was fine. Bought a 2nd set and and used my pedal tuner and popped it again.

I have searching the web and haven't really found what the tuning reguirements are for an acoustic bass. Has anyone else had this problem and what have you done the rectifly this? Would tuning down help? I would like to put the phosphor bronze strings on to get a brighter sound.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

The strings should be tuned the same as any electric. Did you tune it up to a high E?

Also, the onboard tuner doesn't work if it's not plugged in.

3. pfox14

pfox14

How did you manage to tune it an octave lower? I didn't understand that part. When you say "popped" the string, did it pop out of the bridge?

4. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

1 - What does "popped" mean?
    2 - Nylon strings? Do you mean wrapped nylon strings?

It's actually not possible to tune the strings an octave lower and still have them playable.
    Standard tuning for all bass guitars is the same, whether they're electric, acoustic/electric or acoustic.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

My onboard tuner works without the bass being plugged in it's pretty much the same concept as a headstock tuner.