acoustic/electric bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Itzayana, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Itzayana

Itzayana

I have been playing more and more acoustic shows and think it is time to get an acoustic/electric bass.
    I am looking for some recommendations from owners.
    I will likely by a used one in the 400-800 range.
    thanks.
  2. fretlessguy

fretlessguy

If you are doing a semi-acoustic show (where everybody just plugs their acoustics into the PA or and AMP) then an ABG will do fine. However, for a pure acoustic experience, they simply are not loud enough.
    The best alternative is to get a guitarrone or an upright.
  3. Wadge

Wadge

I have a fretless Da Capo. I'm not sure that you get them in the USA but I quite like mine. It has a good fishman pickup and gets the job done. I used to have a fretted Tanglewood which was decent also. I sometimes wish I had a fretted ABG for practice.

Aside from the acoustic shows, its convenient to have an ABG around when you want to practice without having to plug in. You can just pick it up from a stand and go and the volume will be low so that you won't bother anyone else in the house.
  4. RxFunk

RxFunk

I used to have a Washburn AB-10, I liked it pretty good, but it's really quiet not plugged in.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Wallace320

Wallace320

The first one I actually got, and it's fine: EKO Florence
    View attachment 306381
    The second one's authoritative alternative: Cort SJB5F
    View attachment 306382

New, they both come at lower side of your price range

Cheers,
    Wallace
  7. bluebird28

bluebird28

Have you checked out the Ovation line of AEBG's, I have been told that they project sound very well. I just bought one used and have been working on it to get it ready to play, new strings and a new pre amp ordered.
  8. MD

MD

New or used, That budget puts you in the Takamine G series,
    upper tier Michael Kelly, Boulder Creek, Warwick Alien and Breedlove basses. Probably others as well. A nice selection to choose from. Play as many as you can.