1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Acoustic Guitar Electric Bass No Percussion

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Tony Flow MMMM, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Supporting Member

Does this ever work? Any examples? Anything I can do to make it work better? Add rhythmic bass? Keep it acoustic bass? Get a kick drum?
  2. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Add vocals/harmonies and hit the café's and whatnot.
  3. headband

headband Supporting Member

Have done it many times. I like it better with an electric acoustic bass but either works well.
  4. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

5. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

6. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

I've seen John Cowan with The Newgrass Revival on several occasions. In this group his playing style sounded like a kick drum was being played on the "1".
  7. gumbynotpokey

gumbynotpokey

You just change your whole feel and approach. Done it a lot. Works fine.
  8. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Haha, I read the OP and went looking for this EXACT video. Mike Masse is a MONSTER, and I wish he'd put out more stuff. I can't believe talent like that is stuck playing a pizza joint out in Utah...
  9. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

One of you could do what Bowie did and tape a bottle cap to the bottom of your shoe! :cool:

(@ 2:08)

10. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

11. Martin89

Martin89

Disclosures:
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    I do it about 1-2x/wk at a pub, sometimes we have a cajon player or someone on keys. Works great. Made better money too compared to full band lol. I like using my acoustic/electric or my fretless but regular electric is more than fine.
  12. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

13. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Do it with my dad all the time. Do it with my brother and dad (2 flattops and 1 electric bass) as well. Never been a problem.
  14. jive1

jive1 Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I like the format. When the instruments mesh, you get the 'kick' from the drum and the backbeat from the guitar strumming. With a creative bass player, you can do some interesting melodic stuff against the guitar. In the clip below, the bassist is playing the mandolin part for Maggie May. Also, you can play around with dynamics by having one of instruments sit out on certain sections. If you can do vocal harmonies, all the better. And if you really need percussion, you can always bang on the top of your instrument.

Here's a clip from a show done with another TBer, Philbiker.

Sorry for the poor sound quality.
  15. DComtois

DComtois

One of the first bands I was in were set up like this. We had a 12-string, 6 (Ovations, is was 1980 after all!) and I played a '79 P-bass. The guitars went to the pa and for fear of blowing out the speakers, I had a Woodson bass head and a homemade 6X10" cabinet behind me (on stage right). The 6-string player was in the middle and the 12-string player was on stage left. We didn't have monitors. Our sound was awesome. With the 12-string, there wasn't any noticeable drop out of rhythm when the 6-string player went for solo's. I would do some harmony lines with him and sometimes out and out jam our brains out.

When asked why we didn't have a drummer, the answer was always a quote from John Lennon, "The rhythm's in the guitars."

I think the manic was we were all frustrated drummers and it seems to sound like we had one when we played.
  16. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

17. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Yep. I did it for a while. I used an acoustic/electric bass for the most part, but did switch to solid-body basses occasionally. My secret weapons were a SABDDI into a little Fender Princeton reverb. All that was needed for the stuff I was playing.

Have fun.
  18. BigLoopDuke

BigLoopDuke Supporting Member

I did this for a while in my first band and I'll still sit in and play a fretless with other acoustic players, but for me, I prefer the interaction with a drummer...
  19. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

I just talked to the singer from my band about this. We have a pretty successful cover band and an original project, which is on a brief break. Not feeling fulfilled with just the cover band, I decided I wanted to do an acoustic guitar, acoustic bass and vocals side project. I bought a Tacoma Thunderchief years ago and only played it at a couple of gigs, really want to play it a lot more. Great to see others doing/considering it.
  20. IPYF

IPYF

I honestly don't think the bass adds anything to this version. Africa is all about the drums and I miss them something fierce in any acoustic cover of the song that I hear.

I don't know, MMV but I never feel that the electric bass works without some form of percussion. You're better off with 2 acoustic guitars in this situation I reckon, one cat on the chords, another on the leads.