1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Acoustic high C string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ArmourClad, Jan 6, 2012.

1. ArmourClad

ArmourClad

Hello all
    Firstly this is my first post so forgive any noobiness
    Ive actually spent a good deal of time looking things up on here over the years but i reached a bit of a dead end this time.
    Bass-icly Ive been trawling the web to try and find a phosphor bronze high C string (.32 is ideal) for an acoustic bass. ( 32 inch scale).
    Any one know how i can get my hands on one in the uk?
  2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    TI offers one, and I believe D'Addario has one too. You can also see if a similarly sized acoustic guitar string will fit.
  3. ArmourClad

ArmourClad

Really?
    I could only find standard gauge phosphors by d'addario even on their own site (I have a soft spot for d'addarios)
    A link would be amazing
    Never heard of TI
    As for using a guitar string, will they really fit a 32" scale?
  4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    TI is how we abbreviate Thomastik-Infeld. They make a .035" string phosphor bronze string. I believe they are based in Europe, so you'll just have to search for a UK dealer.

I was mistaken about the D'Addario 6-string sets. However, in a recent thread, it was discovered that the electric guitar Chromes would fit on a 34" scale bass, so I imagine their phosphor bronze will as well.
  5. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    If you thread a bass ball end through: But it will depend on the headstock configuration of the instrument:

[​IMG]

TI = Thomastik-Infeld. They are one of the largest makers of violyn strings etc... make some awesome strings...

The only problem I see with the TI string is they are not like a normal "Phosphor Bronze" string with a steel core. They have a Nylon core wrapped in Phosphor bronze. They are lower tension than standard Phosphor bronze Steel Core strings.

The bass ball end option may be the best way to go with a standard string if it fits...

Here is a link to the thread where I put the guitar string on my bass:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f16/f...arstring-bass-823379/index2.html#post11842033
  6. ArmourClad

ArmourClad

Firstly;
    It's amazing that funk is in the name of all the replies I've gotten on my first thread.
    Secondly;
    It's a Dean aebc5 so the smaller ball of a guitar string should hopefully still work fine
    Will have a look at these TI strings
    Nylon core with a metal wraps gotta be a weird sounding string
    Thirdly;
    I'm thouroughly impressed by how clued in you guys are
    Thank you very much and I look forward to familiarising myself with the rest of the forum
  7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    If the TI acoustic bass strings are anything like their acoustic guitar strings, they feel very flexible and sound very neutral and transparent, but I didn't think they really complemented my acoustic guitar all that well. My acoustic guitar seems to be scooped in the upper mids, so my tone lacked a certain fullness; a problem I'm sure owners of more expensive acoustic guitars (the kinds that actually use nice woods and proper finishes to achieve desired tone) don't have.
  8. SRS45

SRS45

Thought I'd add to this since it comes out on top still on a google search.

From my research I've found a few brands that do high C PS strings.

DR, they don't have them listed on their site but I found they do a 6 string set, ditch the low B. They don't make them often so you may need to contact them.

Warwick do a red and a black 6 string set. Again you will have a surplus B string

The best however seems to be Newtone strings based in the UK, they are the best price and also seem to have an excellent reputation. They do a .38 (on a 32" you could prob get away with a high B.. which makes more sense to me anyway than a C) but it seems they can pretty much make what you want, they can even do 80/20's instead of PS. I've emailed requesting a custom set including a .32. You can even choose whether you want hex or round core.

The other option is to try electric strings and see how they sound, quite a few acoustic bassists seem to like the sound of Nickel plated electric strings.