Acoustic Homemade Foot Percussion

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Petary791, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Petary791

Petary791

My newest band, The Birds of Japan, is sort of a Pirate-Folk band, and the lineup is me on banjo, classical guitarist, mandolin, acoustic bass, melodica, and eventually a violinist. As you can see, we're quite percussionless, and stomping on the ground only goes so far, so we're in the market (or lack there of) for some percussion that we can play while playing our other instruments. I've done some Google searching on stompboxes, but 99% of it is effect boxes, and the other 1% are mic'd stompboxes. Anyone have any advice on building an acoustic stompbox, or any other percussion for the feet? I'm gonna go try out a milk crate next time I get a chance. I also think hooking up chains or something to our ankles might sound good.

Thanks all!

2. P.Farmer

P.Farmer

I might have solved your problem with foot percussion. I call it the Foot Drum, kind of like a stompbox, but acoustic, portable and better than anything else out there. In fact it is the ONLY one out there like it. check it out at farmerfootdrums.com

3. CrashBang

CrashBang

Sesions Americana uses an old suitcase with a kick pedal and a tamborine on the floor that the drummer taps his foot on (they also have a snare drum and one cymbol). You may want to think about getting a drummer and using rudimentery rythyms.

4. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

I made a TC (tambourine contraption) where the tambourine is on a lever that I operate with my foot (one end of a see saw basically). Used it at only one gig so far cause I was chicken, but it went over pretty good :).
    You could adapt a bass drum pedal or a hi hat stand to several different kinds of percussion...... be forewarned that standing on one foot all night gets a bit tiring!! If you were sitting and playing it, much easier on the legs :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Just as an "awareness alert", the OP made the first post about a year ago; the next guy to respond is SPAMming his wares, he has a product to sell and he apparently did some google-searching on something like "foot percussion" and came up with the archive of this thread.

I'm not saying his product is bad, or that it's not a valid answer to the OP's question; just that it looks SPAMmy to me.