Acoustic Image Rattle

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by VegasGutPlucker, Jan 28, 2013.

1. VegasGutPlucker

VegasGutPlucker

Hello gents,

My Acoustic Image 1 Series 3 makes a sound, like there are one or several marbles rolling around inside of it when I lift or tilt it. Still functions perfectly. What should I do? Crack 'er open and see what's inside? or Call AI customer service? Anyone have this experience? I seem to remember hearing about this a long time ago.
  2. tcl

tcl Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Contact AI. The owner will take care of you. He's a good, honest fellow.
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Disclosures:
    Brubaker Guitars
    Exactly. And don't turn it on until you find out what's loose. You've been lucky so far.
  4. VegasGutPlucker

VegasGutPlucker

I called, he told me to crack it open to see what it was, turns out a component broke loose. OK well I have a moral question then. I don't think I know anyone who can spare an amp for me to use while I get this one repaired. Would it be wrong for me to buy, say, a Aguilar or MarkBass head at Guitar Center and return in when my AI is repaired?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tcl

tcl Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Maybe GC will rent you an amp.
  7. SteveFreides

SteveFreides

This isn't a moral question but an ethical one, IMHO.

My wife and I go 'round about this one - she purposely buys three dresses when she knows she'll only keep one of them. She says the stores are fine with it and that it's part of the cost of doing business to them.

Ultimately, I think she's right although I wish she wasn't. If GC is willing to take back your amp, then you should feel comfortable doing this.

However, in your place, I'd look at your local craigslist or similar and buy yourself something second hand that you'll then keep as a spare when your AI comes back from the shop. Maybe budget $300 for this? You should always have a spare or at least have access to one, anyway - no time like the present to get one.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

-S-
  8. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Creator of: iGigBook, iGigBook Mobile, iGigBook Index, iGigBook Pager
    A very good piece of advice that's often overlooked.
  9. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

You won't find Aguilar at GC (unless used). You might find the small GK MB200 or the Markbass there. On the return issue, well, that's up to you. Just remember that some sales person will get a commission for selling it and then that commission will be deducted from their pay when it's returned.
  10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Disclosures:
    Brubaker Guitars
    Ethically yeah... it's wrong. People do it and I think they know that it isn't right. It's up to you to decide if you're cool with it.

Then again I'm not exactly the norm. Two times within the last thirty days I've gone back into stores to pay for items I mistakenly wasn't charged for. "I" knew I shouldn't have gotten them for free.
    :cool:

I won't do it, that's why I've bought/kept spares, in the event that I need them.

Rick is usually quick addressing issues, if you get it to him quickly you might get it back very soon. They don't weigh much so shipping shouldn't be too bad.
  11. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

I agree on all points! :)

Nice to see you over on the DB side lately Brad!

Joe G
    (former Atomic)
  12. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

You might want to consider buying a used amp from a TBer, or buy one of the new MB200 amps, if you don't have any bass playing buddies from whom you can borrow an amp while yours is being repaired.
  13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Disclosures:
    Brubaker Guitars
    Hey Joe, what's up?

Trevor was looking at repairing my DB, it's probably a lost cause.
  14. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

PM
  15. MR PC

MR PC

+100%
  16. VegasGutPlucker

VegasGutPlucker

It took some nervous and fast driving around town to borrow one of the first Clarus made to cover amp duty, but I'm glad I did it. I sent my Clarus III to the AI guys one week ago, and it arrived today completely repaired. Outstanding customer service. Thanks for being a soundboard and suggesting I do this.