Acoustic model 260 question(vintage)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BrianToska, Feb 1, 2014.

1. BrianToska

BrianToska

The guitar player of my band works at a pawn shop and just took this item in from someone. It's an Acoustic Model 260. He immediately sent me pictures because he priced it right and wants me to buy it. I must say that I am indeed intrigued. All of my research has led me to believe that this is actually a guitar head, not a bass head. Even though the new model 260s are bass heads. Can anyone shed some light on this topic? Because if it is a bass head, the next step is to go try it out. Thanks in advance guys. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1391282048.871406.jpg

2. BrianToska

BrianToska

3. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

With Tremolo and Reverb, it'd be more appropriate for guitar. Though it may still work for bass.

4. BrianToska

BrianToska

Can you run a bass through a guitar amp without causing damage?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

It's a guitar head but I'm pretty sure it'll sound great with bass too. I'd buy one if I had the chance but I'm a total ACC nut.

Don't know how to post links from my phone but check out the unofficial acoustic forum. There's tons if info there on Acoustics old and new.

7. BrianToska

BrianToska

My guitar player priced it at $190 in case I decide to buy it :) I've never owned any ACC stuff, so I'm kind of wary about it

8. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

Well, that is the amp that The Doors used for guitar and keys. I believe that's pretty cheap considering its kind of a collectors item.

9. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Here's another ACC fan. I currently have 2 370's, a 140 and a 450, but don't know much about the 260. Here's the link to the ACC site. Click the banner at the top. You'll find your way to the gear where you should be able to find info for the 260. http://unofficialacousticcontrolcorpmessageboard.yuku.com. Great gear, IMO. :cool:

10. wighat

wighat

My 470 has a switch for "lead" or "bass", can't tell from the photo if this one does or not.

11. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

For the OP, though, the question is: do you want to buy it for its vintage value, or for use as a gigging bass amp? For me personally, if I had to buy a used amp to go gig with on bass, I would not choose that amp.

It likely will need service (cap job, controls hit with Deoxit) so that should factored in as well.

However, for someone who collects Acoustics, they might want to jump on it.

12. BrianToska

BrianToska

I have a gigging amp (traynor yba-200). I would mainly want it for it's vintage value and studio use. And thanks everyone for all of your input, I really appreciate it

13. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

I do collect them but I always use them on a busy gigging schedule. Super reliable amps. Definitely meant to be played!

14. BrianToska

BrianToska

I'll have to think long and hard about this one. I'm going to attempt to try it out within a few days to see how it sounds.

15. Jazz_bass2664

Jazz_bass2664 Supporting Member

Buy it, you can't go wrong with vintage acoustic gear, as long as you run it with a good cab the head should sound great. Id pick it up because at 190$ thats a pretty good deal for first generation stuff

16. lfh

lfh

It works fine for bass! You get two input channels with semi-parametric EQ that you can combine or run in stereo, a badass fuzz (think Sly and the Family Stone), reverb, tremolo, a crazy tuning fork, killer looks, Jaco sound -- at USD 190 it's a steal!

17. uglyrumor

uglyrumor

My guess is you can get it way cheaper. I would be shocked if a pawn shop gave more than $40-50 for it.