1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Acoustic model 470?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bassviolence, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Bassviolence

Bassviolence

I have seen discussion on these, but am unclear on people's view on them as Bass amps specifically. but i guess while I'm at it, do they sound good for guitar as well?
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Some info: http://acoustic.homeunix.net/twiki/bin/view/Acoustic/GuitarHeadOrBassHead470

I had a Model 450. I thought it was a killer bass amp as long as I didn't want a really clean tone. It was a little grindy, even without the distortion turned on (which works well for bass).

I think it's a fine amp...very old, probably hard to get some parts for if it needed service. My hunch, not based on having to do so.

For guitar use, you'd probably want to use pedals with it...I don't remember if I plugged my guitar into it or not.

Good luck!!!
  3. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

I had a 450 as well and agree that it was a nice bass amp; sounded very 370ish; meaning grindy SS tone.
    I didn't care for the distortion for guitar or bass.
    (Not sure about the 470 but the 450 was a guitar/bass head with a voicing switch and switchable distortion)
    I would think that most of the components are buyable with the possible exception of output transformer.
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

Looking at the photos in the link that I posted, it appears that the 470 was essentially a two channel version of the 450 with the addition of Reverb and Tremolo. It has the same Guitar/Bass voicing switch and distortion control that the 450 does.

It's a solid state amp so there's no output transformer. The concern that I had was whether the various transistors would still be available...and iirc, Acoustic had some propriatary part numbering so it might not be all that easy to cross reference.

It's been perhaps 6 years or so since I sold my 450 head, but I recall the distorting doing a pretty decent Tim Bogert in Beck Bogert & Appice type tone.
  5. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

I would get that 470 in a heartbeat, but that's just me.

Check out this site:
    http://acoustic.homeunix.net/twiki/bin/view/Acoustic/WebHome

It has an insane amount of valuable information regarding Acoustic gear, like sources for replacement parts, schematics, specs, pictures, you name it. You can find parts for these on ebay, too.

The people who use these amps really love them, me included.

I haven't played a 470 yet but I do have a 230 which is actually a guitar amp but I absolutely love it for bass. The 470 is a multi-purpose amp so I imagine it's similar to the 230 but more powerful. I also have a 140 which is a 2 channel bass amp. It's hard to choose which one to use sometimes.

I really can't recommend vintage Acoustic amps enough. They sound great and they're very well made and reliable. I've toured with a 220 and it took all the abuse I could throw at it, no problem.

To me, these amps are so undervalued.
  6. Bassviolence

Bassviolence

thanks for all your help guys, i think I will be going with the Acoustic 470, found a screaming deal on one from the used section of Guitar Center's website
  7. BillyB_from_LZ

You probably shouldn't advertise something like that until after you've purchased it... ;)
  8. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

I seriously considered buying that one but. Good luck. I bet it'll be great.
  9. garmenteros

garmenteros Junkyard Scout Gold Supporting Member

+1 I have a 370 and 150b and they are loud and built like tanks.
  10. Bassviolence

Bassviolence

fortunately for me, I DID get it...

once again Cheers everyone!
  11. BillyB_from_LZ

Congratulations!!!