Acoustic Players: What strings and why?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Cougmeister, Nov 21, 2012.

?

Which Strings Do You Use On Your ABG?

1. Nickel Rounds

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Phosphor Bronze

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  3. Chromes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Flatwounds

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Tapewounds

13 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Cougmeister

Cougmeister

Just curious as to what the popular strings are for all the acoustic bass players here. I don't have a favorite yet, but I'm going to make my way around to each type someday...
  2. Tedward

Tedward Supporting Member

TI flats. Love the sound on my acoustic.

Tedward
  3. 1954bassman

1954bassman

I use and love GHS tapewounds on my fretless Epiphone El Capitan. It all started when I bought it, and a Michael Kelly fretless ABG together, and the MK had tapewounds on it already.

For me, and my style of playing, I like the thud, and note clarity I get with the black tapewounds. Switching from electric to the ABG requires (in my case) serious technique adjustment. The tapes sound huge and thick, and maybe even louder than other strings acoustically.

Side note: One company makes all the black tapewounds for everybody. I have a very reliable anonymous source on this info.
  4. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I put a set of D'Addario half rounds on my Dragonfly.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    What about Nylon Core Bronze rounds?
  7. Pauler1976

Pauler1976

Same as Sav'nBass, I have the same half rounds on my ABG. I would be interested in the Nylon core broze rounds though.. never heard of those!
  8. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

The nylon core bronze are TI Acousticores. Never used 'em, maybe someday. I use D'Addario Tapewounds on my acoustic because I like the sound and feel. Using them on my electric 5-string, too.
  9. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

I find this VERY hard to believe.
  10. 1954bassman

1954bassman

My source asked not to be quoted directly, but she is in a position at a large string manufactor and she offered this info without me even asking about it.

She explained just why this is the case, and honestly, the reasons are obvious.

I also understand it being a hard pill to swallow, so I don't mind the skepticism.
  11. Cougmeister

Cougmeister

What are some of the reasons she gave?
  12. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

+1. This kind of statement would be like me saying "I happen to know that all Sadowsky basses were originally Fender basses given new electronics and paint." I'm really not trying to be rude; I just don't see how that can be remotely true. D'Addario makes Tapes that are 50-65-85-105. Rotosound makes Tapes that are 65-75-100-115. GHS makes Tapes that are 50-70-90-105. La Bella makes Tapes that are 60-70-94-115. Fender makes Tapes that are 58-72-92-110.

Tell me those are from the same manufacturer. That doesn't even factor in the various tonal differences between brands. I really can't believe your statement, sir.
  13. 1954bassman

1954bassman

No worries mate. Your statement is pure speculation. My statement is based on fact, unless the person answering the phone - and providing customer service for one of world's largest string manufactors, decided to lie to me about nylon tape wound bass strings.

I'm sure your "belief" (or lack thereof) trumps a statement from a company rep. At least to you and perhaps many others. It's no big deal, really.

EPA
    low volume demand
    set-up costs
    maybe more reasons, as I did not record the call
    you do the math
  14. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Did you talk to a company rep at Sadowsky and they told you this?

Do you know how many string manufactors there are in the world?
  15. 1954bassman

1954bassman

For the record, I know that you (nor myself) are being rude.
  16. CJAtheBassman

CJAtheBassman

I use D'Addario nylon tapewound strings. I love them because they have an upright-like thump. Phosphor-bronze strings sound too brassy and piano-like for my taste.
  17. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Anything but phosphor bronze. Tapewounds for me.
  18. gary m

gary m

Ditto. GHS tapewounds here.
  19. fretlessguy

fretlessguy

I am using a set of Fender tapes on my Carvin AC40 fretless currently, which gives me a mwah sound that comes close to my electrics. I also use GHS Precision flats on the bass for more of an uprite sound.
    The only phosphor bronze strings I ever liked were the new set of Fenders, which were low in the annoying "scratchy" sound when compared to others, but I decided to stick with the Fender tapes for now.
  20. bearfoot

bearfoot

I've tried them all on ABGs over the years. My tone quest led to flats for a while, but now I have an upright, and a shortscale hollowbody w flats.
    So I like phosphour bronze for the ABG. Its a Cort bass, with a 6" body depth, so the lows are decent and the range of tones I can get, even just acoustically, are broad. I used to hate bronze on ABG, but on this bass - super jumbo body, solid top - they sound awesome.
  21. speak2planets

speak2planets Supporting Member

I just put on a set of LaBella White tapewounds and they are sick. Got them off Bassstrings.com. The guy there said they were new and he only got a few sets from NAMM. They give your acoustic that beautiful thump