Acoustic rig opinions

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by klejst, Feb 2, 2014.

1. klejst

klejst

I have a bit of a dilemma on my hands and it has to do with bass gear so I figured no better place to ask for input and opinions then here.

I have been scouting the used departments on Guitar Center and few other places and came across some cheap Acoustic brand amps and cabs and a couple combos. Starting out while staying within a strict budget I set for myself I found a B200h amp but honestly cannot make up my mind if I want to pair it with a B410 or B115 cab...now you can see where my dilemma starts...

I have also looked into a B200 (with one 115) and the B450 (with two 10's) combos as well. The things about these is an extension cab can be added later if needed, more in likely another 115, 210 or add a 115 to the 210.

I play mostly rock music but of course versatility is nice. Of course I am not expecting it to be as good as a $1000+ setup however have heard overall good things about the Acoustic stuff. The bass I am going to get is a Epiphone standard four string Thunderbird. So opinions/input?

2. klejst

klejst

No opinions?

3. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Media:
    For louder rock, which seems to go w/ an Epi Tbird, I'd get the amp and the 410 cabinet.

4. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

I would hold out for real, vintage Acoustic Control Corp. stuff. That way, you're paying about the same prices as used GC Acoustic gear, but getting the quality of a $1,000 + rig.

Seriously, keep an eye out for 140, 150, 220, and 230 heads. They usually run about the same price as used GC Acoustic heads and are much better.

Good luck.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. My name is Mudd

My name is Mudd

Not sure if it's still true, but the AC amps were spec'd with an oddball ohm output (2.7 or something) which would severely limit the ext. cab options to pretty much AC cabs only. You might want to check that spec before your final decision, and if you have ideas on ext. cabs other than the AC oferings.

That said, the B450 is a nice amp.

7. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

I don't know anything about the GC Acoustic amps. The oddball ohms are nominal. I woulnd't worry about that too much. Some of the old ACC stuff achieves its highest output into 2 ohm cabinets, but that doesn't make it incapable of lighting up a 4 or even 8 ohm cabinet. Plus, you can run a couple 4 ohm cabinets and size your rig to whatever the venue requires.

8. jhfishn

jhfishn Supporting Member

While I have to agree with holding out for a real Acoustic as was previously stated..... the newer ones are actually not bad but you need to know what you are getting. The original Acoustics are very expensive!

I have had both the Acoustic 360 setup and 370 setup back in the day and they are in a word ... HUGE.

But that not only goes for the sound but the size too LOL

I have one of the little Acoustic 260's with 1 10" speaker and 100 watts for small gigs and it works just fine.

My thought would be to go with the 4-10.

I think you would have a nice amount of bottom as well as punch and definition.

My thoughts on the 15 would be too mushy in comparison to the other cab.

9. billgoodwin

billgoodwin

another vote for doing a little shopping around to find a vintage ACC set-up. I have a '73 150 / 106 rig (which I adore and is my main gig rig), a Wagner era b220 head (as back-up for the 150) and a GC B200 combo for small gigs, etc. And to be brutally honest, I can get a tone closer to the 150 /106 with the B200 combo than the B220 head (I'm toying with the idea of letting the B220 go and search for another ACC 150 or 270). Don't get me wrong, the Wagner era B220 is a monster, but still not the sweetness of the 150 /106. The GC B200 paired with another 15" cab would probably be nifty too. The good ACC stuff can be found, just requires a little patience and time looking, you'll thank yourself later.

I paid $200 for my 150 /106 rig 3 yrs ago,will never let this puppy go, unless it just blows up beyond repair, was in mint condition and required minimal tech work to replace a troublesome cap. happy hunting

10. Jazz_bass2664

Jazz_bass2664 Supporting Member

I scored a mint 150B 106 cabinet with original covers for 350$ about a year ago, seriously get the old stuff, you won't regret it!

11. zon6c-f

zon6c-f

I own vintage Acoustic as well as GC Acoustic: both the B200 Combo, as well as B200H and 1x15.

As for the combo it is everything you need..and DI-out into PA if you need even more.
    There is some design flaw regaring ohm rating and using extension cab with the combo.
    you may actually NOT gain more power by using and extension cab..may sound better.. up to you, really. An awesome combo with no issues handling Low B..the entire reason for purchase. My only gripe was overall weight. It is a little on the heavy side for me.I am older with Bass Players Back and a hernia, so we bought the B200 H and seperate 1x15.

As for the B200H , it is identical to B200 combo..only ' lighter' as it is a 2 trip carry VS one trip and heavier single carry with the combo.

I actually prefer 18's but as GC Acoustic does not offer any.. I chose 15's. Some prefer 4x10's..8x10's.. to each their own.

My motto any time I buy musical gear...Let your ears make the choice and your wallet gets the veto.

I still believe GC Acoustic is best bang for the buck with tons of tone.

Keep us posted on what you choose.

12. My name is Mudd

My name is Mudd

The weight comes from the MDF used in the builds...FWIW. And I agree that the GC Acoustic is a good deal, overall.

13. klejst

klejst

Thanks for all the feedback. I understand for holding out however I really cannot hold out too long waiting. Also like I mentioned I am on a budget, really cannot spend more then $150 on both the head and cab each, hence why I am checking out used departments because I see it all the time where Guitar Center sells some gear below that price just to unload it. But I'll keep my eyes open.

14. wshines1892

wshines1892

Get the 410 if you're doing louder stuff. Neither is a fantastic cab, but they're fairly durable if you don't mind the weight, and the 410 will make more of the 200 watts than a 15. Ask the GC what their policy on malfunctioning used gear is. I bought a refurb B200 combo once and when it got here there was some sort of thermal issue where after being on for about a minute with really low output, it would click off but the light would stay on. I had a warranty and when I got it back it never even blinked, but it would still be good if you were able to put it through its paces at a gig or even an extended practice session within the time of being able to return it.

15. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

I don't really feel one way or another about the Acoustic/GC stuff, except that I know that a lot of people do say they think it sounds great and works well for the price point.

I will say that to me a production 115 or 210 would not be enough speaker for any kid of fairly loud band setting.

16. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

So let me start by saying the B200h has been my main ( and only) gigging head for the last 5 years(+/-). I play in a three piece rock cover band. It has done ALOT of gigs and has only acted up one time. It got low on volume out of nowhere and went right back to rocking. That was 2 years ago and hasn't happened since. I blame it on the venue.
    I know nothing about the 410 cab you're looking at.... but I ran mine through a hartke410xl and a generic 15. It was deep and full and plenty loud for any situation.... including outside unsupported by p.a. The tone is awesome and clear and it handles my low B ( and even low A when tuned down) with authority. Even outside i never had the drive and volume up past noon.... including at a recent metal gig in a parking lot where other bands used my rig as backline!
    The ONLY reason I'm retiring my old rig is Weight. And I'm already missing the tone.

If you are in a situation like you describe where you want an amp now and the B200h is what is available...... feel confident that its a good purchase. You have an excellent warranty with GC.
    If acoustic made this same amp in a class D version..... I'd never need/want anything else.

EDIT: I would be remiss if I didn't say that the tolex on the amp is complete garbage. If you look at it wrong it rips. I take stupid good care of my gear and it still ended up with a rip about an inch long on the top. I personally don't care.....but some people do so I thought I'd mention it.

17. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd

My opinion is 4x10. They are almost always louder and almost always sound better than 1x15s, IME/IMO.

18. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Although I love and owned some of the old Acoustic gear the new stuff is some of the best bang for the buck stuff out there plus it comes with a warranty.

19. Martin89

Martin89

Disclosures:
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    I can't speak for the 410 but I had the 810 and still have the 115 and B600H. Other than the crappy tolex they're great sounding and reliable gear. The 115 will require different eq and although not as loud it has a pleasant tone and takes effects better than the 10's did. The 115 is plenty loud for pretty much everything, atleast with the 600. And finding another 115 is easy so you end up with a killer modular 215. The DI is great so very gig worthy. If you're in Az I would hook you up on my stuff. The only reason I would even consider selling it is to focus on my Carvin setup. But I've been gigging the GC Acoustic stuff for 2 years straight.

20. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith

It's interesting to me that people are speaking up about their using present day Acoustic amps. I used to play Ampeg B-15's and thought nothing was better, than I played Trace Elliott followed buy SWR 15's.
    I tried the little Acoustic 260 mini stack, and loved the tone. I've used it for about a year and a half and it meets my needs and sounds very good.
    I also tried the Acoustic combos and was very impressed with their tone, and simplicity and the low prices.

I think there's a snob factor working against them when it comes to these amps. If your ears like the sound, and you like the size, and the power, buy it. I know several experienced bass players who have bought them and use them.

We simply have to get over the reference to the old Acoustic Amps.

Just my tuppence.

21. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

Agreed.
    And just to reiterate :

An acoustic brand class D with the same voicing and controls ( maybe with an aux in to jam with an mp3) as the b200/300/600h would be the greatest thing to ever happen to me. Are you listening GC? Make it so!