1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Acoustic tube head

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by denton57, Mar 15, 2014.

1. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Today I saw an Acoustic tube amp at a local vintage guitar store. Anyone know anything about these? All tube, and was brown and tan in color. It looked awesome. I'm sure it was a 50-60 watt guitar head, but was curious if anyone knows anything about them?

It was missing a power tube, and I didn't really look to see what the tubes were or what exactly the model number was. The store has hundreds of old amps, and I didn't have a lot of time to spend. However, I keep thinking about it.

2. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Like this?

[​IMG]

I think there was a version with Tolex too. They were a bit problematic IME (we had a pile of them in the repair shop I worked in ca. '85), but the parts were all there to make something pretty decent. There was a 100 watt one w/4 6L6s, and a smaller one with two.

3. cronker

cronker

I once had the opportunity to buy a complete 70's Acoustic 360 setup. It was huge, looked like a wardrobe. Only $1000.
    Passed on it.

4. denton57

Close, but it didn't have the graphic EQ and was just a head (not a combo). It was similar in color, but with tolex.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. denton57

Yeah, we're taking about two completely different amps.

7. Passinwind

8. cronker

cronker

Sorry.

9. denton57

Looks like it, in head form. It had the acoustic name plate on it like some of the others pictured there.

I didn't ask what they wanted for it, but I'm curious as to what they go for and it use as a bass/guitar head. From what I've been reading, it seems to be more of a guitar voiced head.. Like an early Boogie mark amp.

10. teemuk

teemuk

Yep, Acoustic Control made a whole series of those in late 1970's to compete with Mesa's similar products. There were also all-solid-state amps in that series that mimiced the tube distortion with field effect transistors. It was a decent attempt. They revised the series with a different name in early 1980's using leftover inventory.

These were probly Acoustic Control's last products before the company was sold to Wagner Group and the Van Nuys plant was shut down.

I agree though, probably not the first choice to pick as a bass amp.

11. Passinwind

Yep, buzz machines more or less, without the nuances of the Mesa amps IMO. The build quality was pretty sketchy on the particular ones I worked on (nice cases though) and the whole "lifetime warranty" fiasco hurt my boss fairly badly. I think he had to buy several back to make the problem go away, but that was before I worked there. We sold the repaired ones for a couple of hundred bucks apiece, as-is, no returns, take your chances. Maybe these were made from leftover inventory as Teemuk suggests. He knows a lot more about the history of companies known for solid state amps back then. ;)

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    No offense, but blech! Horrid little amps. Acoustic hit rock bottom with that series IMHO. Had all the character of a solid state guitar amp made in the 70's. I almost always say tubes rule over SS but I made an exception for those, especially that first amp Charlie posted.

Apologies to you owners of them...well, not really ;) Wasn't my fault you bought one.

13. bottomend!

bottomend!

The amp pictured sounds great... when it works. I was in a band with a guy who bought one and it really sounded great but would spark up about every 3-4 months and then ask to be taken back to the repair shop and have more money throw at it. After the third or fourth trip it got left there...

Jimmy M>>> tisk tisk tisk... seems like you've only heard the "bad" SS amps trying to emulated tube tone. I could play you some stuff that would have you eating Humble Pie my friend.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    You would be wrong about that, thank you. I've played it and I own a lot of stuff that does it. Some of it is quite exceptional for solid state. But give me the real thing any day of the week. It's gotten a lot better but it's still not up to that level yet.