1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Acrylic Basses for anyone??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chuckee, Jul 18, 2006.

1. chuckee

chuckee

I noticed the $200 Galveston acrylic body basses on ebay and curiosity led me the Dan Armstrong bass reviews at Harmony-Central. I think the Galveston acrylic could be an inexpensive conversation piece and display item. Apparently some owners/bassists have modded them and use them for gigging.

I saw a few clear basses (unplayable works of art) for sale in Hawaii in the summer of 2004, costing thousands:hyper: . A Galveston seems like a much cheaper alternative.

Any thoughts on having a clear acrylic bass hanging around your digs or studio or stage??

http://cgi.ebay.com/Galveston-CLEAR-CRYSTAL-POLISHED-5-String-Bass-Guitar_W0QQitemZ120009425546

chuckee:bassist:
  2. hiderebirth

hiderebirth

well, I can tell you that they are really really really really really really heavy
  3. chuckee

chuckee

Have you held one? Played one? I believe I read in the listings and in reviews that they were similar in weight to other bases... 10.6 pounds for the 5-string.:confused:
  4. jmorbita

jmorbita

The other day I had the chance while fooling around in a studio to try out an ampeg acrylic bass... don't really now what model it was, but i suppose it's a vintage bass... it looks really really cool and was not heavy at all, but to tell you the truth its sound let me down... from what i know it's quite an expensive bass. the bass hadn't been played in a while though, and the strings were quite old i guess... it didn't feel as neck comfortable as my kramer bass does... but then again, i've never really played another bass.
    I played with it directly into the board through some preamp( i had no amp) and it had no body at all. in the end i just used my kramer forum III for recording, which is a really cheaper bass... again, it might just have been the old strings...
    and it sure looks cool.
  5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

All of the acrylic basses I have tried just did not cut it well sonically. They were slightly heavy, but not overly so. If you have a lot of signal processing, they may be useful live, but I would never take one into the studio.
  6. v-12

v-12

I've never played one, but for $200 I'm sure you could do a lot worse. Looks pretty sweet for the price!
  7. chuckee

chuckee

8. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

$200 is definatly not bad, think of it this way,

when was the last time you got to play a framed picture or a painting you bought for a similar price eh? :D
  9. jmorbita

jmorbita

glad to hear you say that... i was afraid there was something wrong with me.. playing a fairly expensive bass and thinking it sounded awfull!!! but pricing sometimes doesn't have to do with the sound...
    the one i tried didn't feel heavy, but my bass is quite heavy so then maybe it seemed light in comparison. Also, i believe it didn't have a way to adjust the string height on the bridge... or maybe the bridge had some weird system on it i didn't understand.
  10. chuckee

chuckee

You got it. The pictures I've "played with":rollno: were not framed and did not cost $200.:) :)
  11. v-12

v-12

12. chuckee

chuckee

All of the ebay auctions of reference are cheapies. I've read reviews of the Galveston acrylic basses indicating that adjustments can be difficult and that fret edges were quite unrefined (among other characteristics). Some buyers have done a few mods to get them to play better.

I wouldn't get one as a primary instrument ... moreso out of curiosity and as a potential to have my first modding experience.

Regards,
    chuckee
  13. chuckee

chuckee

14. Walfy

Walfy

I have a clear acrylic Strat-style guitar and a "purple" (more of a real pretty magenta) acrylic Galveston bass. The guitar is a couple of pounds heavier than the bass. The bass weighs about what others weigh and is lighter than my Gibson RD Artist as well as either of my two Warwicks. I think what makes it lighter is the small and somewhat thinner body. My bass has smooth fret edges (came that way from Galveston) and a good crisp tone. Both the guitar and bass have sustain unmatched by most instruments made out of wood. For the money I would think you just couldn't go wrong. And this is particularly true if you are primarily buying it as wall art. :) Walfy
  15. hiderebirth

hiderebirth

well, I've played couple Dan Armstrongs and both of them were really heavy when compared to other wooden basses
    and BC Rich's green acrylic guitar was fairly heavy also
  16. chuckee

chuckee

Thanks, Walfy.:)
    Can you slip me a PM (or just an open reply). I'm curious as to whether you bought your bass on ebay or elsewhere. One ebay site indicates that they have a setup guy who does a little extra in the area of setups prior to shipping. And, there is a little variance in price among the sellers.
    Thanks,
    chuckee
  17. ballison

ballison

man I want an acrylic bass so bad...if only they didnt weigh around 50 pounds!
  18. Walfy

Walfy

I just sent you a PM. :)
    Walfy
  19. chuckee

chuckee

Walfy,

Thanks for your rapid reply. Your information and references are quite helpful. I have read about the high action on the Galveston acrylics and the effort required to effectively lower the strings. As well, I have seen a few comments about buyers receiving acrylics from the manufacturer/distibutors with pretty decent frets.

I have to use a bit of restraint in getting any more gear as my lady friend and bass instructor probably will have me committed, if I buy another guitar or bass. We all know that I should place my emphasis on practice and more practice.

Also, guitars, cases, and cabs are starting to overrun my available space. Even to have an acrylic as wall art probably is an insane decision, at this time. I'm certain the acrylics offerings will be around in upcoming months.

Again, I really appreciate your timely experience-based input.

chuckee:bassist:
  20. Walfy

Walfy

Chuckee,

You are most certainly welcome.

As for space considerations, you could always walk sideways through your house like I do. :D

Walfy