Acrylic P Bass's - Who can custom cut them?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dj_kevonator, Nov 6, 2012.

1. dj_kevonator

dj_kevonator

Hi from Australia!

After watching a couple of Goldfrapp videos I've decided that I wouldn't mind saving up for an Acrylic P Bass, (similar to Gary Beer's Fender P Bass from the "Suicide Blonde" video). I could go the Charlie Jones (Goldfrapp) signiture bass but I don't like some of the contour cut's on this particular bass.

Anyway after looking around the net I'm having trouble not just finding who can make acrylic bodies and perhaps necks (preferably in Australia) but also a rough price.....

Doe's anyone know of any places that can do this?

Thanks

DJK:bassist:

2. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I've seen one or two on eBay. Not sure of any builders that do acrylic stuff.

You do realize its gonna be a boat anchor, right?

The Gary Beers P is crazy expensive, something like $25,000.

3. RandyMolson

RandyMolson

4. millsbass5

millsbass5

Gary Beer's acrylic bass IS for sale. I'll try to find the link.
    WARNING: It ain't cheap, either!!!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dj_kevonator

dj_kevonator

Hi All

Yeah I spotted that thread in regards the Clear Bass Owners Club (I'm new to the site), so I'll keep digging round and see what I can find.....

I want to build something reasonably close to Gary's bass - There's NO way I've got pockets that deep..... :crying:

And yes, everywhere I look each page keeps commenting about the weights of these bass's. Even so though it's something you don't see every day so I think it's worth it.....

Thanks again for your replies. If all else fails I might have to source my own materials and (gulp) "Build one from scratch".......

DJK :bassist:

7. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

The material alone will be expensive...

Check out some prices here:
    http://www.eplastics.com/Plexiglass_Acrylic_Sheet_Clear?range=97,137,137

I just found these guys online as a reference... things are usually more expensive down under... They also provide CNC cutting service...

Acrylic is much more difficult to work than wood (or at least very different) & it scratches much easier than most people think...

Good Luck, & keep us posted...

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

The Garry Beers one is a Fender, I don't know if the CS sells bodies but why not start there?

I won't comment on the weight as it has been said a million times, but I will be shocked if Fender charges less than $3000 for the body alone, that isn't even counting the shipping to Australia.

You can buy Gary's bass here. Personally I would much rather spend $25,000 elsewhere.

You could always call Fender CS and have them make you a replica, I imagine it would be cheaper but I assure you it will still be easily over $10,000, probably over $15,000. It costs almost $8k for a left handed jazz bass through the Fender CS.