action adjusting

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Oric, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Oric

Oric

To start, I've read the stickies and know full well how to adjust action and the trussrod.

With that out of the way- I'm trying to decide whether I really want to adjust my action and trussrod. I've got really high action- using the CD test, I can pretty easily slip four CDs above the twelfth fret. I love the high action, there's never buzzing problems, it makes my hands really strong, and the tone is just great like that. But I picked up a P-bass with much lower action recently, and I was just amazed at how easy it was to play. Things I have trouble doing on my bass were nothing on this one- I could two-hand tap any pattern I wanted.

So I'm trying to decide whether I really want to change it or not- I'm of the opinion that if I can't play something easily with my action, I'm not trying hard enough- upright bassists have a lot more to deal with as far as that goes.

Any opinions?

(also, exactly what size Allen wrench would I need for a MIM Jazz Bass? I've adjusted it before, but I can't remember which one to use- I've got several full sets of them...)

2. waynobass

waynobass Supporting Member

Lower it. Playing should not feel like a physical workout for your fretting hand.