1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Action too low??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Emibass, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Emibass

Emibass

Hi, I measured the action on my L2500 and the B at the last fret is at about 1.7mm. But it has no fret buzz unless I pull hard on strings.

I like a likght touch too.

Do you think it´s too low??

I also have the pick-ups low low, about 6mm from the strings on the neck pu.
  2. bassteban

bassteban

Does it work for you? If so then it's fine w/me
  3. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

+1

Action is a very individual thing. I tend to start with the Fender setup guide then adjust (usually a little upwards from there). Mine are all about 2.5mm from the 17th fret which suits my playing style - lower and I get too much buzz, but others with a lighter touch may not.
  4. mrbell321

mrbell321

In general, if there's no buzz, then it's not too low. Even if there's a slight buzz, that can be ok too.
    Are you a slapper? If so, I've noticed it's hard for me to slap properly, when the action is low. I end up muting the strings w/ my thumb.
  5. Emibass

Emibass

I slap only for myself at the moment so I don´t consider myself a slapper. I try to relax myself when slapping and this way the notes ring out more.

But I like the ability to fly over the fingerboard and with just a gentle touch of the fretboard be able to fret the note with the minimal effort.

The thing is if you only eyeball the fingerboard and the strings it doesn´t appear to be so low but when you meassure it....it´s really low. And what wonder me is that it doesn´t buzz.
  6. elgecko

elgecko

It sounds like it isn't too low for you.
  7. Emibass

Emibass

LOL, to lower the action even more I´d have to shim the neck and it´s 6 bolts bolt on neck
  8. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

if you playing comfortably and you like your tone, don't change anything.
    It's your personal set, so don't change it.
    Cheers.
  9. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

Too low? Up to you to decide no one else since no one but you will be playing your instrument.
  10. deeptubes

deeptubes

Sounds like you've got it right where you want it.
  11. ddnidd1

ddnidd1

What's the 'best' string height? Sorry, I couldn't resist.
  12. Emibass

Emibass

for metal????
  13. Emibass

Emibass

I play very confortably and like the tone (lowered the pick-ups). I´d like the G string to be a tidy bit lower but I´d have to shim the neck (and we´re talking about a 6 bolt neck) or file the saddle, but its not such a big deal so I´ll leave it like that.
  14. simenandreas

simenandreas

haha