1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

    We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Active Bass eating batteries

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ramleg85, Mar 30, 2014.


  1. Ramleg85

    Ramleg85

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2013
    Location:
    Hartford, CT
    Hello all,

    Picked up a Alvarez Dana recently at an auction for 60 bucks. wasnt working at first, The battery in there coulda been sitting for a long time so I changed it out for another 9 volt and it was fine. (it has an active preamp) After about a day and a half the signal was getting kinda buzzy while plugged into the amp so figured it was a defective battery maybe, so I changed it again. Same thing happened and it was working great at first then after about a day it just died. It looks like a pretty messy wire nest in there, I dont know to much about this stuff but could it be grounding out to somewhere? I'll try to take some pics but I dunno if you will be able to see any thing.
     
  2. Ramleg85

    Ramleg85

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2013
    Location:
    Hartford, CT
    Shoulda mentioned it initially, I do leave the bass unplugged when I am not playing on it and I didnt have a crazy 5 hour session either. I have been using name brand batteries too
     
  3. Kmonk

    Kmonk

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2012
    Location:
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    There could be a defective jack which is causing the pre-amp to stay on or a problem with the pre-amp.
     
  4. nutdog

    nutdog Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2009
    Location:
    In the dog house.
    Jack could be wired up wrong, causing it to stay on even when the cable is unplugged.
     
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tonetodiefor

    Tonetodiefor Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2014
    Location:
    Marin County
    You've got a ground short somewhere. Take a close look at every lead on your jack, preamps, knobs, etc.

    Been there..
     
  7. Isotonic

    Isotonic Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2011
    Location:
    Round Rock TX
    I had this problem on my Audere and found that the tip contact for the jack was bending and touching the shielded wall of the control cavity.
     
  8. RobbieK

    RobbieK

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2003
    If you've got a multimeter, set it to miliamps, disconnect one lug of the battery, and with the bass unplugged, put one probe on the free battery lug, and one on the free battery clip lug. If you have a reading, then (obviously) your axe is consuming current while unplugged. If your meter is not digital and you don't get a reading, reverse the leads and check again. (An old-school analogue meter won't show a negative current.)

    As others have said, this is most likely a busted or badly wired jack...
     

Share This Page