1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Active bass output jack wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by canadian_man_44, Mar 5, 2014.

1. canadian_man_44

canadian_man_44

So I decided to replace the output jack on my precision deluxe active bass due to it being very loose on the cord and causing sound issues. Took the old jack out and started to out the new jack in and realized that it only has two connections where the old one had three. The bass has black, white and blue wires. Can I use this output jack and if so, where do I connect the wires?
    Pics of the wires and the new jack. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1394005550.985629.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1394005578.096738.jpg

2. M0ses

M0ses

Life lesson: take "before" pics.

3. canadian_man_44

canadian_man_44

That was damn helpful. Thanks.

If the jacks had been the same it wouldn't have been a problem.

4. Wolffgang

Wolffgang

Looking at a wiring diagram would be damn helpful.

You need a TRS jack with active bass because contact with the ring acts like an 'on' switch. So no, you can't use that jack. Hopefully you can use the appropriate diagram to put it back together without pulling the pickguard off, but I don't know how uniform the wire colours will be between different runs. Output to tip, power to ring, ground to sleeve.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    An active basses uses a trs (stereo) output jack to act as a 'switch' to apply power to your preamp when you plug a cable in to the bass. You really need a trs jack to do this properly. Otherwise, if you rewire it to work with the ts jack you have, you'll be constantly draining the battery for your preamp!

7. canadian_man_44

canadian_man_44

TRS jack it is then. Thank you. I still have the old jack with short parts of the colored wires attached so rewiring with the correct jack in hand won't be an issue.

8. Rob22315

Rob22315

The output from the preamp should be wired to the tip. The battery negative wire should go to the ring. The cavity ground should go to the sleeve.

Good luck.

9. canadian_man_44

canadian_man_44

I also found the full wiring schematic for my bass. :)

10. BassLife77

BassLife77

you probably could have still used the old jack. it might have become loose because the tip was bent too far out from usage. pushing it back toward the center would have fixed that. then cleaning it up with alcohol for the dirt and grime that accumulated

11. canadian_man_44

canadian_man_44

Yeah I tried that and it didn't help much. Got a new jack yesterday and I'm wiring it up tonight.