Active bass through pedal pre-amp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by iggy, Feb 11, 2014.

1. iggy

iggy

Hi all, I have an active Pedulla bass that I would like to put through a pedal pre-amp such as the Darkglass Vintage Deluxe or the new MXR m81 pre-amp. I know that off bass pre-amps are usually for passive basses to give them more "life" and better eq options. Is it redundant to use an active bass with the boost/cut features built in with a pedal pre-amp? Would I be going through to many gain stages and actually be hurting my tone? Thanx. Opinions?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Well it's a mixed bag. Yes it is redundant in terms of EQ and simple boost; and yes multiple gain stages and EQs can muddy your tone or increase noise. But it is NOT redundant if you choose an outboard preamp that has overdrive, amp modeling, or other significant tone shaping beyond just EQ. And you may decide that the OD, modeling, etc. add so much goodness to your tone that you don't hear any degradation. At that point it's all up to personal ears and tastes.

3. iggy

iggy

Thanx Bongo. Can't wait to hear your reviews of Keeleys' two new compressors. The Bassist and the Compressor Pro. Bought the Empress on your recommendations and couldn't be happier.

4. RDUB

RDUB Supporting Member

I'd try playing the Pedulla through just your amp for a while, and see if you need to add anything. To my ear, they sound pretty d@%#$d good on their own. Between on board and amp eq, can you not get YOUR sound?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. iggy

iggy

Well I was thinking about getting the upgrade from Pedulla on my ThunderBass from the standard tone roll off knob to the Bass/Treble cut/boost and thunderguts add on. Total cost is about 900.00 dollars. They would also put in new pickups included in that price because the old ones won't work with the new electronics. Just thinking that getting a pre-amp with eq options would be cheaper than spending 900$ to retrofit the Pedulla. I have been told that the upgrade would significantly make a difference for my sound. More growl and the ability to cut or boost highs or lows instaed of the tone roll off knob.