Active Electronics Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bagusys, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Bagusys

Bagusys

I'm trying to save money here on this Bass I'm building. This is my 2nd line of instruments, first bass/2nd Guitar

The Guitar is G2G, I did passive pickups (Invader B and Screaming Demon N with active preamp)

The bass is more confusing to find a "Good price range"

3 routes I want to go...

Bartolini pickups with Bartolini electronics/preamp

$300 all together, 140 ele and 80 each pickup

the Bartolini pickups aren't passive and you need the preamp for them.

Can anyone tell me about the other 2 please

I looked into either the SD blackouts or EMG MM

The info I can't find is how they work, neither website explains this.

Either set of pickups is more expensive, but the active tone controls are cheaper, but IDK if they're needed.

If I get the full set then I'm looking at $250 all together.

From what I can gather it looks like EMG and SD are active pickups, so the battery go to the pickup, so does this imply that you need a battery on each pickups then another for the electronics totaling 3 batteries, this makes no sense whatsoever, but neither SD nor EMG websites show any good pictures of the product or explain how they're set up.

My real question is can I just buy the Pickups and build a simple tone control to save money, thank you...

2. line6man

line6man

Barts are usually passive, and you don't need a preamp for any magnetic pickup. It's optional.

Only one battery is required for all components onboard a bass. The current draw is too low for there to be any worry about having several loads on one battery.

If by 'simple tone control," you mean a standard HPF tone knob, then yes. Again, preamps are not a requirement for any magnetic pickups.

3. Bagusys

Bagusys

So do the EMG and Blackouts have the preamp built in or is the "Optional" tone circuit really a requirement?

4. line6man

line6man

Active pickups have internal preamps. Again, you don't need external preamps if you don't want them. It's a choice.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I think the OP is getting the terms confused.

1) Barts are not active.

2) Pickups that ARE active (EMG) do have a preamp built in, but it's not a 'tone shaping' preamp that has knobs and stuff. It's just a signal booster that the pickup has to have because EMG's have very low output so they need the internal preamp to boost the signal to make it as loud and useable as a passive pickup.

3) If you DO go with active pickups, one battery powers all the pickups plus any preamp you would want to add.
    -EMG's with added tone controls = 1 battery.
    -EMG's with no tone controls = 1 battery.
    -Barts with added tone controls = 1 battery.
    -Barts with passive controlse = 0 battery.

Like line6 said, you don't have to have an active preamp with either setup. It's up to you. Personally I think going the Bart route you outlined is the way to go.

7. JustForSport

JustForSport

'Most' Barts are passive, not all.

8. Bagusys

Bagusys

Sooooo I'm gathering, No, is the answer to my question, if I get the blackouts or EMGs I do not require the active tone controls because the preamp is built in so one battery will cover both pickups. A simple tone control will work as it normally does POST the active pickups. Most Barts are passive yes, but the MM (Which I have on another bass of mine) are not cuz when they go dead, no sound produces. Ultimately...

Bart active preamps are required for their pickups that require them...
    Bassline Blackouts/EMGs do not require the optional tone control and I can build one to save money...
    Thank You Everyone...

9. line6man

line6man

Once more, no magnetic pickup requires a preamp.

10. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

No, you're still confused :meh:

The 'preamp' built into EMG's is not the same kind of preamp you install that has knobs and stuff.

Barts do not require a preamp of either type.

I use Bart MM pickups in two basses. They are not active pickups. In your bass you probably have an active PREAMP which is why it stops working when the battery goes dead.