active electronics - when discharged?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lowtom, Dec 6, 2013.

1. lowtom

lowtom

i got two brand new 9volt batteries for the actice electronics on my status bass guitar. i charged the 9 volt batteries completely and put them in my bass.

however i did not plug the bass into an amp for one month. No it seems the batteries are discharged. So my question is, when do the batteries on active bass discharge?
    When putting them in the bass? Or just when turning up the volume or just when i activate the active pickups? Or something else?
  2. line6man

line6man

You should only be drawing current when the bass is plugged in. Any measurable current draw when the bass is not plugged in points to a wiring issue.
  3. lowtom

lowtom

Thank you
  4. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

If they are rechargeable batteries, they may not actually get to a full 9 volts, even after being charged for an extended period of time.

If they are defective, they may not hold onto a charge for very long, either.

I use non-rechargeable alkalines. Even with weekly rehearsals and gigs, a batterly lasts for several months.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Depends... most active basses have a switch built in to the output jack that switches the battery in when you plug in. A few (per EB StingRay for example) do not. First check the actual voltage of your fully charged batteries because many are no where near 9VDC. Second check the jack to make sure no wires are shorting.

John
  7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

rechargeable batteries are useless in basses. They discharge by themselves over time and you end changing them a lot more than non rechargeable.
  8. wmheilma

wmheilma

I have played active basses a long time. The batteries last a very long time, so it never even occurred to me to use rechargeable. I use Duracell with my Bartolini pickups and pre. If you unplug the baas when you aren't playing it you are good for several months of heavy use. Try a normal 9 volt, unplug when you are not playing and see how it works out :)
  9. grendle

grendle Supporting Member

This.

The biggest source of the, they eat batteries like a wireless and go dead during every gig myth.