1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Active EMG's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ambissonnett, Jan 24, 2013.

1. ambissonnett

ambissonnett

So I just purchased a Fender Jazz Special originally from 84-87, made in Japan. I know original Jazz Special's had passive pickups, but mine is loaded with active EMG's. My question is, if I want to switch the setup back to passive, will I have to get new pots along with it?

My intention is to buy the original '62 Fender Precision pickup and a Seymour Duncan STK-J2B jazz pickup, what kind of pots would work best with these? Any input is appreciated.

2. Exit1242

Exit1242

You will need new pots because the actives will have 25K pots and for your passives you will want 250K or 500K pots. It would depend what u want for sound typical single coils run 250K ,ost humbuckers will run 500K but I have a strat that has 500K when most have 250K. If u are running a stacked jazz I would get the 500K pots. Hope this helps.

3. ambissonnett

ambissonnett

So does the 500k just have more output? Or is tonal range involved too? Sorry, I don't know the whole electronic logistics of basses and guitars.

4. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    500s will generally be brighter. Do you not like the emgs ?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ambissonnett

ambissonnett

Nah, not a fan of actives. I don't like having to have that worry if the battery will go out or not if I'm doing a gig. I just like the way passive's sound too. I guess I'm an old school kinda guy.