Active eq

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fusion man 85, Feb 21, 2014.

1. fusion man 85

fusion man 85

I have been looking a a lot of higher basses lately and am a little confused. I play passive basses,so my question is this whats the deal with basses that passive pickups with two or three band active eq and 9 volt circuits options,are the both active and passive? Most of these I.looked are spectors
  2. NicJimBass

NicJimBass The Kirk Hammett of bass guitar! Supporting Member

There are generally 3 types of bassses- all passive, passive pickups w/active preamp, active pickups with active preamp.

In my understanding, passive pickups have stronger magnets than active pickups. Active pickups make up for this fact by putting a battery powered preamp inside the pickup itself. This allows the signal to be of similar strength to passive pickups, but can allow for better dynamics, as the pickups can be raised closer to the strings without affecting the string travel.

Active preamps are simply EQ options you can use to shape your sound from your bass. They can usually be paired with either passive or active pickups.

Most high end Spectors have both active pickups (usually EMG) and active preamps, from what I've seen.
  3. fusion man 85

fusion man 85

Do the active preamps require a battery as well, cause if not I may look in to a mid range spector not sold on emg's myself just not a fan of them
  4. scuzzy

scuzzy

Media:
    active anything requires a battery. pickups or preamp. only a completely passive system is needless of batteries.

they all sound different, and are all popular in their own way due to the tones they provide. play what you like, and get it. sounds like you don't like active p'ups, so avoid those, and go from there.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JustForSport

JustForSport

Active pre-amps and active pickups both require a battery.
    They can share the same battery, tho.
  7. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

I've read that the vast majority of active basses have passive pickups.
  8. fusion man 85

fusion man 85

Im gonna go to my local spot and some fender deluxe models out and maybe sum Ibanez as well. They dont carry spectors regularly unfortunately.