1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Active Jazz Basses!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alexlocurto, Feb 11, 2013.

1. alexlocurto

alexlocurto

1. Squier Deluxe Active Jazz V
    2. Fender Deluxe Active Jazz V

Which one and why? I have to confess: I haven't played either, but the Squier is a lot more visually appealing, especially in white.... :)
  2. Bakkster_Man

Bakkster_Man

I just bought the Fender 4 string and am uite happy with it, especially the noiseless pickups. No more hum regardless of the pickup mix. Feels great, too.

Didn't compare to the Squire, but I think the noiseless pups are worth it to get the Fender.
  3. zon6c-f

zon6c-f

Squier....Fraction of price..same amazing tones.

I have owned one since 2009;now my main go-to-bass.

Due to Squier, I am no longer a gear snob.
  4. alexofc69

alexofc69

the squire is an exceptional deal. Unfortunately they no longer make in white.

I have a black and white that have been heavily modified. These are both my main go to basses as well. Ive been using the white one for almost every gig for the last 12 months. Ive used my MTD maybe 2x?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I guess that make me a gear snob. I will only buy Fenders which are American made. The quality is much more consistent and despite what people think, they do you use different components depending one where they are made. Fender does some make some nice lower priced basses but I haven't found one that I like enough to buy. Maybe its because I have been playing for 35 years and have played some great 1960s and 1970s basses. I currently have an MIA Jazz Deluxe that is my main bass.
  6. Robf

Robf

I love that white, seems everytime I'm looking to buy a Squire they switch colors (Sonic Blue I'm looking at you!).
  7. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

I had that choice and I chose MIM. I think the MIM looks better and I prefer noiseless pickups. I also prefer rosewood over ebonol unless it is on a fretless.

Ken
  8. zon6c-f

zon6c-f

Ever since my first Rick 4001 in 1972, I was gear snob as well. In 2009, I was offered a sub job for a H M gig requiring a 5er. I wasn't about to use my ZON.

Always wanted a MM-5er. Wife and I went to GC intending to buy the MM. I tried the MM..LOVED it, Wife was ready and agreed to buy, then I balked at purchasing a $1700 bass just for [possibly] one job.

...Coincidentally, this was near my birthday...

Then I saw the Squier. I held my breath as I removed it; never having touched such a lowly bass. Plugged it in to same amp.

I was astonished. I played same riffs as on MM. I called GC guy over and asked if he was hearing same as me. He agreed; same tones from Squier as with MM...SOLD!!.and $1400 LESS!
    It instantly became my main go-to bass. When my wife realized this, she ordered top of the line H S C ; orange plush lined. What a great birthday...

As wellas Zon, I also own an American Standard Fender Precision. Even in our often too hot and always too humid Georgia weather, it seldom needs tuning; set it and forget it..for months.

Agreed there are some MINOR quality issues between Fender/ Squier, but main difference is what I call "Pawn Shop Value".

I love the ebonal. My Zon has a Phenolic fingerboard, as well.

Having removed the fear of ever touching a SQUIER, several months back, I tried the Squier 4 string fretless; strung with flats, it felt like it had been sprayed with silcone or W D-40..SLICK. I prefer rounds. I would never consider buying either the Fender Jaco Tribute nor the Jaco Reliced bass, when I can buy "same thing" for around $300.

If / when Squier makes a 5 fretless, I WILL BUY ONE.

K MONK...I am not calling you nor anyone else a gear snob; I reserve that title for myself [as needed]. I certainly understand and respect your decision.
  9. zon6c-f

zon6c-f

After thoughts...

I intended to heavily modify the Squier; thinking it was a great bass to experiment with. With all of the stories on TB I had read; makes sense to EXPECT to NEED to replace: tuners, bridge, pups, pots, etc.

Is my Squier dead silent? NO. Is noise a nuisance? NO; typical JB noise; don't practice too close to lamps. Can't hear it in live performing context regardless.

When I did the math for all of the mods I wanted, made no sense as I could have bought American Fender for same $$ as I would have spent on mods. As we say in Georgia..If it ain't broke..Don't fix it.

Main difference between MM and Squier, other than cost in my opinion: My liquid Black Squier [ satin neck] feels nearly as good as the MM.

Important to note: Squier control [quality stock KNURLED] knobs have detents as does the MM and my ever so pricey Zon. So why spend $$$$$$ when I can spend $$$ on quite similar features ?