1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Active jazz type bass with flats?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Evil Undead, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

I didn't know whether this should go in basses or strings, forgive me if I didn't choose well!

I have, of course, heard a ton of clips of P basses with flats, and there's the odd clip on YouTube of either a passive jazz or a stingray with flats.

But I want to hear people's opinions on what flats sound like on an active jazz style bass.

I usually use dead rounds, roll the neck pickup right off and the bridge pickup on full, and the treble rolled off about 50%, to give you an idea of the kind of tone I enjoy.

Feel free to include sound clips if you have any, I'll listen to them all, and recommendations for which flats you think would sound good. Nothing too tense feeling (like the Steve Harris's Rotos for example), my hands aren't that strong. Either low tension or something that comes in a lighter gauge like 100's

2. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

I was planning on trying flats on my MIM jazz de luxe but had a set of light Fender black tape wounds and love the sound on this bass through my Markbass Jeff Berlin combo set flat.
  3. fabubass

fabubass

I have an MIM Deluxe that I put Chromes on 5 years ago. It sounds great! It was much too trebly before