Active or Passive DI?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Baker69, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Baker69

Baker69

Hi all,

I need to get a DI Box and have read the general concensus that it's Active DI for Passive Basses and Passive DI for Active Basses.

The problem is I use both Active and Passive Basses on the same gig, so which is the best one to go for, Active or Passive DI?

I've been looking at the ART ones, seem pretty decent spec and they do both Active and Passive versions.

2. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Gold Supporting Member

I bought the Eden WTDI from a TBer and absolutely love having all the tone control of a preamp in a DI.

[​IMG]

3. Baker69

Baker69

Thanks, but looks a bit excessive for what I need!

Sorry, forgot to mention I need a dual input as well.

4. David Grunigen

David Grunigen

Try the radial Bassbone, two inputs with separate controls for levelling volume, with some tone control and a built in boost also. I love mine!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

I would get a Countryman or J48, and use a tuner to mute while changing up - I wouldn't bother with getting a "dual input" anything...

IME, an active DI will work better with an active bass than a passive DI will work with a passive bass - so, I use an active for both types of basses...

- georgestrings

7. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

+1, Yep - it would just be another guitar cable for someone to trip over and slam your bass onto the stage floor. Its best (safest) to unplug/plugin basses - and muting with a tuner petal works perfect for this.

I highly recommend getting either a Countryman 85 or Radial J48 - both work well with active and passive basses and they're both built like a tank and sound fantastic.

8. basskal77

basskal77

9. Baker69

Baker69

I need a dual input as I need the second input for my Moog Taurus.

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll go for the Active DI. :)

10. SteveC

SteveC

I've used my passive Radial JDI with a passive jazz, passive P, active Roscoe, etc. They all sound good.

11. Baker69

Baker69

I don't really need anything with a preamp, I put a bass and moog pedals through one amp and the XLR out of course is a mix of both instruments. With a dual input DI I can still put both instruments through the amp via the line thru sockets but I can have a separate feed from each instrument to the desk so that each can have their own mix.

12. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

You're probably going to want a separate DI for the Taurus unless you need exactly the same EQ and levels as your bass. It's essentially a 2nd instrument.

13. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Was thinking the same thing - in that case, the Bassbone makes alot of sense... or, maybe a small mixer...

- georgestrings

14. Baker69

Baker69

This is why I've mentioned I need a dual input DI box.

The Taurus goes into the amp via the CD/MP3 socket, doesn't need (or get) any EQ'ing, it is what it is! Volume is governed by the volume wheel on the Taurus plus is limited in the Taurus's settings parameters.

With a dual input DI box the Taurus can then have its own mix in the PA.

15. Baker69

Baker69

Have tried a small mixer, unfortunately it seems to 'colour' the bass tone even with all settings flat.

16. Rocksolid

Rocksolid

I know they say Passive DI with Active, and Active DI with Passive basses. My understanding (I'm happy to be wrong as I am seeking confirmation) is that if you are using a tuner that has a buffered signal between your passive Bass and DI, then that strengthens the signal enough to qualify as an active type signal, and in that case a passive DI will be find for all applications?

17. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

More like this ?

[​IMG]

18. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I'm so confused. I thought you said you needed the 2nd input on the DI specifically for the Taurus?

If that is still the case, why are you plugging it into your amp? Also, if you did use the 2nd input on the DI, how would it get it's own mix? If would be blended with whatever is using the 1st input on the DI.

19. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    OK I just deleted my previous post; sorry, but something about the OP's responses irritated me and I responded in not the best way.

You need a two-channel DI box. There are loads of them. Not two inputs that mix down to one, but just two channels. Reason being, you are already using your amp as a mixer, by running the two instruments into separate inputs. So it doesn't matter if the DI channels are completely separate.

If you plan to later on use an amp that does not have the second mixed-in input, then you need something like this: http://sfxsound.co.uk/micromix/ to get the Thru outputs of both DI channels into the one amp input.

20. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

Ive been using the Radial Tone Bone for years, i first got it because i would switch between Electric and Upright Bass, its great for leveling and EQing to completely different instruments for one gig. Now i still use it because the Pre Amp sounds go freaking good. Its not the cheapest but its built like a tank and has plenty of head room, it will require an outlet as it runs on its own power supply so you pedal board power will not work with it.

21. Baker69

Baker69

Hi there,

The current set up is that the bass and Taurus go into the same amp, the bass via the standard jack input and the Taurus via the CD/MP3 input socket on the amp. The amp only has one XLR out to the desk therefore at the moment the signal out is a mix of the 2 instruments.

I want to be able to send separate signals to the desk for each instrument so they can be mixed separately through the PA, I figure the best way to do this is by sending the signals to the mix before they reach the amp, hence the dual input DI Box.

The line thru for each signal on the DI Box will put both instruments through the amp as before, but the XLR out on the amp will no longer be used.

Hope this explains it a bit better!