1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Active P-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I played a Fender P5 that was modded with a Bartolini pickup and two-band preamp. The salesman told that bass was a monster, and he was not blowing smoke! The preamp gave the classic P- bass tone a nice active or modern edge and it really lived up the slap tone while still keeping the Precision identity. This has got me thinking about ordering Carvin PB5 with active electronics and just the split pickup. That said, Carvin prices are so low, it is hard not to throw in the Jazz pickup too.

2. REMBO

REMBO Supporting Member

If it sounds good.....go for it!!

3. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

I've only owned one Carvin, an SB5000, but I've been very impressed with the build quality, the playability, and the tone. It's a keeper, for me.

If I were in the market for a five-string P, I'd definitely consider the Carvin.

4. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

Active and P-bass are two words that should never find their way into the same sentence. :eek:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

A valid point of view. However, a great P bass sound offers even more options through the right preamp. I've really enjoyed John East and Nordy preamps on my P's. Of course, playing them passive was another whole range of sounds.

7. Dr. Cheese

I'm love the Jamerson type of tone, but I prefer a brighter P-bass tone like Byron Miller with George Duke or Robin Duhe with Frankie Beverly and Maze. Active electronics work just fine in those contexts.

8. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

Just joking around, Doc. :) I do prefer passive, though.

9. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Greetings from the North,

I'm still diggin the John East P-Retro in my 08 P5. It still keeps the stock passive P tone but when I want some extra oomph it's there.

Rezdog

10. JustForSport

JustForSport

like fretless and P ?

11. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

My Sadowsky PJ (in straight P mode most of the time) is my go-to

12. Dr. Cheese

That's the advantage of a PJ setup. You can always just go P.

13. gumbynotpokey

gumbynotpokey

14. emblymouse

emblymouse I Dig A Pony Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Lakland**Bag End**Schroeder
    My 50th Anniversary P Bass is way hotter/louder than any active 4 or 5 I own. That said, I've been eyeing the P pre listed in the classifieds. I am putting together a fretless P (there, said it) and ya never know.....could be fun!

15. Dr. Cheese

The cheapskate in me wonders how a Squier P5 would sound with new pickups and a two band preamp?

16. DannyBob

DannyBob

I once played a P bass with active EMGs and that sounded alright? Why is everyone complaining about it being together...

17. bassfreakah

bassfreakah

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Ernie ball strings
    I have a fury with a active EMG-X and it really sounds great!!!!!!!!! it sounds the same as passive but has more air and punch, and the tone control is useful throughout its entire range. Great upgrade!!!! Made a useful bass more.......

18. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

See post #1.

19. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

I have no problem 'activating' any bass, including precisions. I don't 'play treble', but I do prefer a brighter tonal range than most players. I say go for it and don't pay any attention to those who would label it heresy. :rollno: