1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

active/passive live use management

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassIsFun17, Feb 14, 2014.

1. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17 Supporting Member

hey there

wasn't exactly sure where to post this question. but i figured i'd start here.

basically im running a passive fender jazz bass on my passive input of my amp for one tuning and for my other tuning i use an active spector bass in the active input of my amp. the spector is far far hotter than the fender obviously, and it's a bit of a pain having to turn a bunch of knobs and change instrument inputs everytime i switch between songs live. is there a device or a way i can manage this so i can pre set the levels of each instrument to be around the same level? i suppose i'd need something with two inputs. how does the rest of all of us bass players deal with the headache of switching these instruments live?

thanks

2. line6man

line6man

If there is a gain control on the preamp, set it to match the output of the other bass. Otherwise, add a trim pot to reduce output.

3. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing. Supporting Member

^ problem solved.

Since you asked: if you want to make it easy to switch instruments and mute the other at the same time on stage (flip-flop) and also want total pre-set control of both levels, an active mixer pedal would do all of this. The Boss LS-2 is an example. But you'd need to power it.

4. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

Volume knob. I honestly don't know why people try to make this hard.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17 Supporting Member

well thats what i'll keep doing. its just sort of annoying. cause i like to just be able to turn the volume all the way up and be done with it. thats how i do it with my passive fender jazz. but i understand that it's totally easy to just keep using the volume controls.

7. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing. Supporting Member

I don't know who ctmullins is referring to as making things hard as the first response in this thread said exactly what he said...

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with wanting balance between two instruments with each at full onboard volume.

Like line6man said, if you want to be sneaky you could install an internal trim pot at the output of your onboard preamp and attenuate your output level however you'd like. I'm not qualified to state exactly how this would affect the tone but if the attenuator (grounded trim pot) is on the buffered output I think it would be largely transparent like a passive 25K volume pedal.

Also, I'm not familiar with Spector preamps but there is some very small chance it has an output trim on the pcb (probably not).

Aside from that, like I said, an external active mixer pedal is easy, non-invasive, and future proof.

8. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

Sorry; it's just that there have been several threads lately with this same question, and all kinds of overcomplicated answers.

9. ex-tension

ex-tension